North Carolina Prosecutor Says Fatal Shooting of Andrew Brown Jr. 'Justified'

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/18/997859806/elizabeth-city-state-finds-deputies-shooting-of-andrew-brown-justified

There are so many things I don’t know about this situation that anything I say could easily be shot down. But I see no reason to shoot someone that managed to get through people without harm. You have the persons name. Just track him down later and stack up all the new charges on him. If he was wanted for murder, no problem.

2 Likes

It says that the car hit/brushed one of the cops, but this always goes back to the same thing for me. Why not just do as you’re told and sort it out later. The guy PUT the cops in a terrible position to require them to come there in the first place, and then to not just get out of the car and surrender? It is a terrible situation, but the guy put himself in it, no?

6 Likes

If you watch the video again I think Brown paused as he brushed the LEO. One of my issues with shooting a moving vehicle is that you don’t know who’s in the trunk.

1 Like

If you have done enough to have warrants out for your arrest and you try to drive away from it even if you have to take a couple of Police out on the way, then you might get shot. There are consequences to be paid for illegal and stupid actions.

6 Likes

There will always be Monday morning quarterbacks who have never walked in a cops shoes and will say “they should’ve done this or they should’ve done that “. Any person who is a career criminal and decides to get away from the police when caught there will be consequences.

5 Likes

Right, like the police now would have to have a car chase. The chances the crook or the pursuing police may injure or kill multiple innocents in a car chase are tremendously higher than chances cops will accidentally shoot someone who may be in the crook’s trunk.
Police pursues the criminal not because they are predators, but because the criminal is a predator and him staying at large endangers the public.

4 Likes

In my job, we work with “quality” a lot. There is the idea of always pushing quality left, earlier, in a process. It is cheaper to do that.

If the cops let the guy drive off, and he injures someone, the public would ask why they did nothing to stop him. That he was free in the first place is a wonder, and again, puts the cops into a bad situation with no good choices or outcome. I think that today’s public is looking in the wrong place and trying to solve the wrong problems…and finding a scapegoat in the police and military. It speaks volumes about what the mass populus thinks is “good and right” about regular people.

4 Likes

We always find ways to sympathize with the thugs :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hey! Somebody could be in the trunk. You never know if a thug kidnapped someone. Maybe that’s why the thug is fleeing.

I was actually kidding. Thorn in your side.

2 Likes

If you want police firing on vehicle controversy, not a manufactured one, here is one. I am glad I am not an LE to have such dilemma in front of me, choose between the life of hostage now or hostages at the next traffic light.

1 Like

I agree that it’s not fair for anyone to judge when they’re not in the police’s shoes. However, don’t they judge when they’re not in our she’s during an incident? It’s a double standard. Like clergy in history past we gave them a free ride. We’ve learned that a person’s career choice doesn’t necessarily give ten cause for a pass. But maybe we should. I don’t know the best answer to this delima.

1 Like