New type of TV commercial

I was watching TV the other night and an ad came on that caught my attention. It was telling gun owners while at home to keep your gun unloaded, in a locked safe, the ammo in a different locked safe and if you keep it out of the safe, make sure it’s unloaded. There was more but can’t remember it all.

I thought, who the hell are you to tell me how to store and keep my guns? I also thought if I did all you’re telling me, my family and I are dead meat if someone breaks in my house. I keep the weapon out and loaded just for that reason.

Has anybody else seen this ad?

3 Likes

I do not recall such TV ad… perhaps there ware children involved?
There is a lot of talking about kids safety now.
This has nothing to keeping your tool ready for self-defense.

3 Likes

Sounds like the ad Council ads I heard a few weeks ago.
“Daddy do we have a gun?”
These ads IMHO, are making law abiding gun owners look and sound stupid.
We should put our own ads on and teach about respect, honor and safety. Maybe after today’ signing of the executive order we could flood Twitter with more responsible safety ads. They can fact check us all day long. Gun ownership is a responsible way of life. If we do this there will be no more gun memes LOL.
Maybe it’s a good thing we can’t fix stupid :shushing_face:.

3 Likes

In my industry we call this a race to the bottom. Aim everything at the low end, like our schools have done.

2 Likes

This one?

2 Likes

Yes, that one and others

3 Likes

Some one please put up an ad asking criminals for 5 minute notice before home invasion

5 Likes

No, that’s not the one. This was more of a talking down to. More of a smart liberal telling a dumb conservative “don’t you know better”.

3 Likes

That is the most disgustingly, emotionally manipulative, piece of drivel I have ever listened to.

3 Likes

I have not seen that ad, But I have seen recently an ad stating how many people have died from guns - or death due to guns - which I found a little off -

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:
Everybody can feel it his own way.
There’s nothing that says firearm are bad.
It is like watching “The Reliant”. One person says - great pro 2A movie, other says - good action movie…

3 Likes

It’s like the anti-tobacco commercials, when they show people horribly disfigured by cancer, or dying. On one hand, I see the value in these ads, on the other, these hypocrites are silent about weed smoke being more carcinogenic than cigarettes.

5 Likes

Is there no option for 2A commercials w/facts in them? USCCA making a difference? GOA?

3 Likes

No disrespect @Jerzy. As a parent I’ve dealt with having a child who was bullied because she defended a little girl who was being bullied. It literally took me challenging the school board to get it resolved.

That 8 children a day statistic includes up to the age of 19 y/o and the majority of them are related to gang violence. Everything they brought up in that video was brought up for maximum emotional manipulation with 0 context.

3 Likes

Now that I’ve gotten curious enough to watch the video I’m not sure how to take it. It pretty much describes how I grew up. Guns in my parents closet and bullets in the top drawer. The difference is I didn’t sneak around to find it. I was shown it. Then when it came to my wanting to use it, my dad didnt snivel and beg me not to. He warned me what would happen if I did, and I knew he meant it.
Of course my elementary school principle also had a paddle with holes drilled in it hanging on the wall and if I got it at school I got it again when I got home.
Now they tell kids that if they get a spanking they should call social services. A friend of mine had the best answer for that one though. He said… if you call, you better make sure you have another place to live because when I get fired for not going to my job while I’m in jail there will be no one buying you food and this house will end up going back to the bank. Not directly related but deffinately illustrated the different perspectives between then and now.

4 Likes

As I mentioned, everyone can look from different perspective. If we both are present at this Community, it means we feel the same about firearms… however what you see as: the most disgustingly, emotionally manipulative, piece of drivel, I see as piece of information that makes me think if I have done everything correctly to prevent my kid to hurt himself.

We’ve already discussed kids safety at home on another thread, where I posted information about being a kid who was able to find EVERYTHING at home, no matter how hard my Parents hid stuff from me. Now, being Parent by myself I treat such videos seriously, and I’m not looking at them as on something what washes my brain.

@Jerzy

Taking the video at face value. Do they offer to inform or ways to mitigate or even solutions? Or do they just keep hitting emotional chords to make the parent feel bad for owning a gun.

A bit of humor here, as this thread bothers me a great deal.

The above is humor only.

I keep 2 safes one for ammo, one for guns. In the ammo safe are some of my more expensive guns that I wouldn’t want to accidently grab on a HD.

I informed my daughter about guns without ever forcing my opinion upon her.

There is exactly one gun in my home that is not in my safe because it’s on my side at all times, you literally would have to fight me to get it.

These are parental responsibilities, that should be taken by the parents. Not with information that is not true or taken out of context. That because it’s coming from the Ad Council could be considered authoritative and factual.

That’s what makes it disgusting to me.

4 Likes

To me, the commercial is meant to shame people like me; like us. People who know for a fact what evil people do to innocent and helpless people. It is nothing more than an attempt to make gun owners seem like reckless, dangerous people who don’t really care about children. This is just gun control from a different axis of advance. Shame and fear equals you should get rid of the gun.
And never forget, that is their overarching objective. They want us disarmed, no matter what it takes to do so.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m weird. I didn’t see it as an attempt to shame and it got absolutely no emotion from me. I actually found myself viewing it more like a comedy skit and thinking ‘dumb arse’ to myself at several points. Maybe I just didn’t internalize it. I can’t picture myself begging a kid to follow rules, or rationalizeg with him/her about something potentially life threatening, either though. Rules are rules and consequences are consequences. (Of course I also believe that if you run from a cop or try to fight a cop you shouldn’t be surprised when you end up dead or brutalized, but that’s what I was taught)
Our six kids are adults now. Some have degrees and some are doing life the harder route, but they all realize that their situation is a result of the choices they have made and they all contribute positively to society in one capacity or another.
Now when our first grand baby comes over every weekend (3 yrs old) she knows ‘grandpa’s gun’ because it is pretty much always on my belt all the time and she knows that 'guns are things and things don’t make choices. People make choices and people can cause good or bad because of their choices. That is enough for now.
I suspect that when she is a little older she will know about sight alignment , sight picture, natural point of aim, blah, blah, blah, as well as the 4 rules (just in case her kindergarten teacher decides to sponsor a nerf gun league)
:grin:

3 Likes

I think you’re right, for the minority, but the majority of folks who see it won’t come away feeling like that. That is the worry.

2 Likes