New out of the box service

This^^^^^👍

2 Likes

Looks like a Maguire PlastX competitor?

1 Like

Nope.
Flitz is for metal polishing only. It has no cleaning features and doesn’t work on plastic.

2 Likes

I painstakingly polish every feed ramp to every handgun that I own. I’m a big time believer in a dremel & Flitz! That stuff is a miracle worker. Just start slowly w/very little Flitz or any good rubbing compound. Use very little compound. A little truly dies go along way. It’s a messy but rewarding process.

3 Likes

Thanx, I’ve actually been a USCCA Member for over 15 years. Finally started to find some time to check out the boards.

2 Likes

I have also had many new guns over the past few years and seen soaking wet to bone dry. My second gun had issues out of the box that I think came from the oil that was put on to protect it from rust. A quick field strip and oil, back in business. I have since then cleaned and lubed any gun before I first fire it so I can make a mental note of before and after appearance next time I clean it.

2 Likes

Really old guys remember soaking their M1 parts (less stock) in whatever the Army had available, sometimes solvent, often gasoline, oil was again, what have we got?

2 Likes

I agree with your comments and recommendations. My 1911 brand new from the manufacture was bone dry and had cerokote on the slide which made the slide operations not function or slide as smoothly as was designed. It was a very quick fix. But , in the practice of disassembly prior to actual firing , has proven that is well worth the time spent.

Another reason for disassembly prior to first time use is in the fact you become much more familiar with operation. It make range days go so much more smoothly when you encounter an issue .

I would and have recommended to all my students to learn to disassembly for all first time uses. It just make sense.

2 Likes

Based on the discussion in this thread, I’ve added an “Out of the Box” service for my clients on my Instructor page.

Stay safe out there.

5 Likes

I have a jewelry magnifying lens I don’t see any imperfections in it, my sister has a dremel so I will try to get some compound and polish a Lil more I’m just learning how to use this site if I can play with it and figure out how to put pics or video up I will post a few pics but I tried shooting again the other day 3 different ammo so that’s not the problem has to be spring or feed ramp

2 Likes

I’ve lost track of what has been discussed on this thread, so please take my comments for what you paid for them. I don’t know the specific order, but when multiple ammo types exhibit the same problem, it is usually related to a magazine. If multiple magazines do the same thing, then it could be the feed ramp, the recoil spring, or the extractor. If it is me I only change one thing at a time so I know what fixed it. If it is an external spring loaded extractor I would try oiling and working it through its range of motion, or if easy enough take it out, clean, oil and reassemble.

If none of that helps, I would advise a trip to a gunsmith that has experience with your model, unless someone else pipes up with additional ideas.

2 Likes

Always good to field strip your new guns just to check them out & understand your parts of them. I cleaned mine before going to the range because it was a while before I got to the range after I purchased them.

2 Likes

I will break down a new firearm & do a visual. I have found that many semiautomatic pistols have way too much oil on them & in some cases the oil is actually pooled in the frame (My new Canik TP9sf was like that). I also like to take the factory oil off of the slide rails & grooves & use my CHL oil instead, I recently bought the new Taurus 1911 45apc made in Bainbridge, Ga. This one was the opposite. It was not well lubricated & had some tiny debris in places, I cleaned & lubed it & had i not, I am fairly sure that it would have been a crappy 1st shoot at the range.

1 Like