New Gun Care

Hopefully long guns shooters will answer this… :slightly_smiling_face:
Manufacturers’ recommendations are always different that shooters’ experience… and I trust more shooters. :wink:

2 Likes

Specifically for ARs…

if its DRY, it will run clean, but not dirty. I’m not sure how many rounds it will shoot dry (each shot fired dirties it up a bit), but you’ll eventually jam up.

If it’s WET, it will run clean AND dirty. You can fire an AR that’s wet and when it starts to slow down (you can feel it) squirt some more oil on the BCG (specifically in those little holes) and it will continue to run. You can do that almost indefinitely. When you see those youtubers saying “i ran my AR for 10k rounds without cleaning!” thats what they are doing.

I don’t know enough about AKs or bolt actions to offer any meaningful advice here… although I would say if the 308 is an AR10 I would imagine the same rules apply as an AR15.

I think its key to follow the manual. That should keep you in good running condition in most environments. As @Jerzees say though, if you know folks who have personally done X in Y conditions successfully those folks are worth listening to.

In case folks haven’t seen it here is the lube points for an AR15… L is “light”, G is “generous”, and 1 is “1 drop”

5 Likes

A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks!

1 Like

What about overlubing a pistol in a windy desert? Recommended? Clean more often?

1 Like

What is the best kind of lube and wiping material for pistols mostly shot in dry dusty environments? And, after how many rounds per cleaning max?
Thank you

1 Like

Which model?
There are few pistols that can run dry. Windy desert is not a great environment for anything containing moving parts.

Whatever you do, lube, overlube, keep dry - cleaning more often is a good idea.

1 Like

Glocks (your favorite :wink: ) run pretty dry.

2 Likes

Yeap… That was my first thought, :wink:
PPQ is another one. Runs dry pretty good… perhaps even better than Glock? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Thank you Jerzy, will do :slightly_smiling_face:
Where can I get more training without spending a couple hundred in a class?
Thank you

1 Like
  1. HOME - dry firing (cost nothing)
  2. Local Ranges
  3. Instructors NRA or USCCA

Have you ever tried this websites to find classes?

NRA Courses: Search for Courses | NRA Training

USCCA Courses: https://training.usconcealedcarry.com/classes

1 Like

No, not recommended. A pistol is not a rifle, the question I asked before was specifically about rifles. With a pistol always use lubrication lightly, or accumulation of grit on oil will stop the action from cycling properly.
Some pistols are more tolerant to airborn dust. CZ75, Glocks are known for that. Still you don’t want any chances with a EDC weapon, you can spare 10 minutes every evening to wipe and lube it if you live in this kind of climate.

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

How Dow nickel boron and nickel Teflon parts fair considering oiling and climates?

1 Like

@ heather16, You would be good with Hoppes oil and lubricant and just to wipe the gun with a regular gun rag you can purchase at the gun store or like I sometimes do, an old t-shirt. Just wanted to let you know that everyone is different when it comes to how many rounds they fire before cleaning their pistols, I clean them after every range use. The ones not used that are sitting in the safe I clean every two to three months.

2 Likes

Thank you Johnny

1 Like

Nickel Boron (NiB) and Nickel Teflon (NP3 i think?) Titanium Nitride (TiN) and some of the other “exotic” coatings help maintain lubricity and are also more resistant to wear… when properly applied.

As a normal user, the best benefit you will see is that you can literally wipe clean most of the BCG after use. Plus they look really cool.

If you are a heavy user, the NiB BCGs may last a bit longer than regular coated ones.

I’m not aware of any downsides other than cost.

If you don’t mind spending $20-30 more for a BCG I’d say go for it. But the plain old BCG will do you just fine.

From the link you posted, Toolcraft is the “goto”, I’ve heard good stuff about the Fail Zero. The Anderson and Aero ones are probably fine too.

If you’re shopping around, PSA has some BCGs on sale too both regular and NiB and they’ve been pretty solid → https://palmettostatearmory.com/memorial-day-sale/ar-parts.html?caliber_multi=5.56x45mm