New edc why

Recently i purchased a Springfield XDE 3.3" in 9mm for my new EDC. Not new to Springfield actually mostly owned Springfield as my go to EDCs from xd to xdmod and mod2 to xds. So i decided to try something new and went with a Ruger SRC9. First day i went straight to the range as i typically do with a new firearm. 30rds in misfire. ??? Not fond of malfunctions or misfires. At least never out of any Springfield I’ve owned. So i think maybe its nothing 20rds more again misfire. Pin strikes but lite. At this point I’m questioning my switch. I’ve did plenty of research on this gun and never came across any complaints. So maybe its just a lemon. Either way at that point i did not trust my life with that particular Ruger. So back it went and i strapped my trusty xdmod2 back on and began my search again. As i browsed through the interwebs i kept coming across Springfield XDE the specifics small enough to carry comfortably for me since thinner than my mod2. The slide is 27% easier to rack. Now i don’t have any problems racking a slide but this one is easier telling me its faster. Now to the hammer. Typically I’ve always had the striker fired. But that Ruger had me questioning everything. So typically 1911 style hammer with ambidextrous thumb safety/de cocker. Plus SA/DA trigger. So i could carry chambered and de cocked with the trigger being a long 8-10lbs allowing time to “think” but if needed easily squeeze it fast no issues. Or i could carry chambered hammer down safety up. Which give a short 3 to 5lbs pull. The feel is great with my hand size (medium) and the 5 mags and range bag was a plus. It is a single stack but come with 3 8rd and 2 9rd mags with extensions so 1 chambered gives overall 9 and 10rds. The mags are polished and have a great look and feel. Sights are typical Springfield with holographic interchangeable front sight. I carry it every where i go with my cloak IWB alien holster. When its on my side its chambered hammer up when at home the hammers down. No misfires or malfunctions with about 850rds through it. Its on the side line at the moment as far as range time cause i just finished my first AR15 build for my first ever AR purchase. Getting down range with it here lately. So i recommend the xde shes been good to me and im sure you wouldnt be disappointed either. Looking into first AR? I choose to build PSA it gives you the first hand of actually building the rifle making you more confident plus why spend so much on something your just gonna upgrade so get what you want as a base and add to it overall saving money in the long run

8 Likes

Welcome to the family and be blessed brother.

2 Likes

@MattG2020, welcome to the Community.

You are right about Springfield XDE 3.3" - great little handgun. I’m definitely more into Springfield than Ruger. Nothing against Rugers… in your case it might be either short striker pin or weak striker spring, but even these can be fixed, I still prefer Springfield.
Hammer in XDE is a huge plus for EDC (whoever uses hammer thumb covering as safety feature knows it’s the best method ever)
There is only flat trigger missing in XDE… :pensive:
Great review anyway!

4 Likes

Langdon Tactical (as in Ernest Langdon) does some magic for the XDE’s if you so inclined.

Light striker strikes (say that 3 times fast!) can be any number of things, and ammo is near the top of the list. The other is that it may not be quite all the way in battery. Enough to fire, but not enough to get a good hit. Striker channel with dirt/grease, etc can cause that. Try some different ammo, maybe a good cleaning (particularly the striker channel). If not fixed, call Ruger. They will fix it.

Oh, and welcome to the party!! err Forum. :smiley:

4 Likes

I had 2 different brands of ammo. It was brand new straight from the shop to the range unboxed and oiled at the range completely in battery as well. Im not sure what it was best bet would be a loose spring but like i said i took it back and told my local shop which are great gave me full refund besides taxes. Also bought every gun from them besides my xde i bought online cause i was looking at the start of this covid junk and the price shot up and couldnt find locally. I got it for 409$ from Simmons gun shop out of Louisiana. My local shop does transfers for free too. But yeah right out of the box doing a misfire really no way id ever trust that gun. So i think i the right thing for me and returned it.

3 Likes

MarkinMT replied and said london tactical does magic on xde so im gonna look into them cause a enhanced flat trigger sure would be nice. Make it that much better

3 Likes

Thank you Johnnyq60 its a blessing to be her

2 Likes

Make sure you want change action from stock one for EDC.
I don’t like this either, but anything that is not manufacturer’s can be considered as deadly… :pensive:

2 Likes

I’m changing my summer EDC the M&P
Shield 9mm 2.0 to the M&P 9mm 2.0 subcompact, reason being the weather is changing and it also gives me more capacity 25 rounds. I paired it with my USCCA gear all blacked out. SEE PIC:

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60

:+1: :smiley:

1 Like

@MattG2020. Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you brother :+1::+1:

1 Like