Negligent discharge

I’ve been reading a lot of blah blah blah in my books this morning, I think if any more info goes in my head its going to explode.

I gain so much info it’s become super easy to both abuse or misuse the info and look like a foolish clown :clown_face:

4 Likes

To quote the prominent philosopher Bart Simpson, “I didn’t do it. No one saw me do it. You can’t prove anything.”

8 Likes

NO… if leo’s show up at your door ya may have to explain… but otherwise IMHO NO.

4 Likes

Hello all,
I must confess,…
I am a intermediate level firearm user, I had just purchased my 1st AR-15, made by Ruger,but, before I even purchased it, I did my due diligence, on research, (videos, blogs).
I FAILED a couple of the main tenants of firearm safety.
this last Monday I had received my amazon order of bore snakes, 12ga, .380/mm. and .556/.223, and wanted to clean each firearm after having a 4 hr range day on Saturday,
After I cleaned the walthers’, the bull-pup, and finally the AR.
When I put the AR in my case I had left the what I thought was a spent Mag in it, and put up the dust cover. made sure safety was on.
When I retrieved the case in my master bedroom unzipped it, held it at a safe angle, racked the charger, dust cover flipped open, removed the mag which was empty, set it on the table, and then dry fired it, and Bang. into the floor it went.
Stunned and ringing ears i checked to make sure I was not hit by ricochet, and my pug that was in the living room was Okay.
I know what tenants I Failed, I know what I should have done, I know I wont make that almost fatal mistake again.
I am plagued my so many what if’s, I have never had an issue before, why now?

1. It was excitement of having a new tool to use to clean it,
  2. not racking it 2-3 times, checking the bore for clear chamber.
    Does this make me a bad person?, no, Careless and negligent, yes, confidence shattering , yes, fear of it happening again, no, because the lesson I leaned is a hard one.
    Assumption is the mother of all PHUCK UPS and I was the poster child for that on Monday!
    I have now decided to implement a change,
    I will now spend my free time on research, classes on firearm safety, read literature, what ever it takes, no matter how much it costs me, because the cost of a ND could have ended all I have built.
    I must learn and train, because I believe that gun safety…starts with me!
    David
7 Likes

@DeplorableWitcher Doesn’t make you a bad person, your are guilty of being normal! We have all had new tools, I’m sure you hit your thumb with a hammer once or twice!:+1: Thank goodness no one was hurt. Save and frame the expended round and cartridge as a constant reminder that Sh!£ happens and you’re sure it will never happen again!
I constantly charge and rack every slide when moving a weapon from the range. Always aware of how many rounds I fired during the day. Check and re check weapons for clear chambers. How are your ears?

4 Likes

Sir,
thanks for the reply, My hearing has returned to normal, but the ring of it will last forever sir!

4 Likes

@DeplorableWitcher

We learn on our mistakes… Now you know how to prevent such situation in the future. And you will for sure !
The most important: even you have experienced negligent discharge, you still have followed safety rules (“point in safe direction” in this case).
I’m glad nobody was hurt. :+1:

Good lesson for all of us.

:point_down:

I’m not AR guy… but shouldn’t it be:

1. remove mag
  2. rack
    (not vice versa)
5 Likes

Yes SIR! you are correct

4 Likes

@DeplorableWitcher I will tell you that you are among good company. I will not downplay this but we have all made mistakes and, luckily, the majority end up with some relatively minor property damage but a life long lesson. I am thankful, no one and no living being was hurt. I am sure you will take this lesson to your grave with you and, hopefully, will prevent someone else in the future from doing something similar.
Mistakes make us better in the long run.

4 Likes

Sir,
Thanks for the reply, your words me much to me!

2 Likes

Here is something I made a couple years ago. As yet, I have not had a negligent discharge. Notice I said as of yet. I am not going to pretend that I am immune from the possibility. Anyway, this sits on the floor next to my reloading bench in my gun room in the basement. It is literally a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand along with a siding dryer vent to give me space to insert the muzzle a reasonable distance. The idea being that if I had a NG, the gun would be pointed in a safe direction and even if it didnt catch the bullet, it would take most of the energy. If I dry fire practice or if I am cleaning a gun such as a glock that requires you to dry fire it to strip, the first trigger pull AFTER checking, regardless of the gun, will be with the muzzle controlled in this bucket. It cost me less than $20 to make, the most expensive part was a couple bags of sand.

2 Likes

very cool!! I may just build one, thanks for the reply!

1 Like