Need input

Need some input here. I’m new to AR’s and I don’t know what I should expect out of my setup. I just got a Ruger AR 556 and I slapped a Sig Romeo 5 MSR green dot on it. The pic below is from me sighting the gun in at 40 yds. 40 yds is about my limit for seeing decent detail in a target so I figured that’s where I should sight it in at. By the time I got it dialed in I was shooting like 1.5” groups at 40 yds. I feel as though it’s now down to my trigger control and technique. Am I thinking correctly on this? Moving onto a 100 yds I can hit a 10” steel plate all day long rested and the majority of the time standing. Again, I’m guessing the accuracy is again down to me and my skill level. I can also hit a 4” steel plate rested at a 100 yds pretty easily as well. My rifle skills are in their infancy mind you. Just looking for opinions if I’m doing ok and not expecting too much from an unmagnified lower end optic. Thanks.

1 Like

Lately I have only been doing dry fire training and transposition to pistol training and magazine reloads. I make my own practice dummy rounds and put a piece of rubber over chamber so the can’t think what it is called doesn’t smack into it. I find drills on line.

1 Like

@Reacher You are certainly demonstrating an ability to reliably hit your target. Don’t forget, different manufacturers, and different loads, can, and often do, demonstrate signature results down range. Since you know physical skills are those you need to refresh and develop, you may well have the opportunity to see this for yourself.

Bring a box or two of different ammo to see the results. Consider getting a chronometer at some point so you can dive into the behavior of individual and groups of ammunition. Add, you’ll be improving your breath, trigger, and rests control. It starts becoming easier to determine what’s your ability and what is happening with any given ammo.

If your range supports it, stretch yourself and practice to longer ranges, gradually extending your skill and comfort with your rifle. At some point, you may find having a spotting scope is useful.

Enjoy at the range, and practice dry fire and mounting the rifle at home - without ammunition in the room. Congrats!

3 Likes

Good for you. Appreciate it, safety first.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. I’m well aware of the differences between ammo makers from shooting handguns. That’s one of the reasons I’d like to start reloading so I can have consistency. As for training with no ammo in the room, it’s what I do, but it’s always nice to be reminded.

3 Likes

being a teaching organization, not knowing who is reading - let alone having any gauge of knowledge - one to another, and we ARE speaking of deadly tools; better safe to remind all of the four + dry fire. I’m pleased to hear about your interest in reloading. Cheers!

3 Likes

The only thing holding me back is availability of components at this point. Been saving my brass for months.

1 Like

Hitting a 4" target at 100 yards with a mass market generic ar type rifle and bulk ammo is to be expected

That roughly 4 moa standard is what Appleseed goes for, from prone, supported by a sling,for example. Rack grade rifle and bulk ball ammo

5 Likes