My first Operator type training

Recently picked up an HK SP5. It’s a sweet firearm, but very different than anything I’ve owned. So, I decided to attend a weekend training focused on being more proficient with it.

Glad I did! Went over all the basics of the firearm, target acquisition, trigger control, different ways to reload, clearing malfunctions, move & shoot, using cover, even worked on long range up to 200-yd. Never shot a 9mm that far before.

14 Likes

I’ve never fired one but looks like a great home defense option! I was thinking of getting a 9mm PCC of some type for around the home defense but in the end decided to go with a 300blk for a variety of reasons. But the 9mm sure beats 300blk on practice ammo pricing!

5 Likes

You need to try one out if you get a chance. The delayed roller blowback makes it feel like a 22.

Actually thinking of getting the SP5K version which will be shorter for both home defense and backpack carry.

2 Likes

Good job on getting training.
Love the prone, good diversity.

Did you do any transitional training?

5 Likes

Wow there is a lot of nice hardware present at that location. Nice pics @PDA3 :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

That looked like excellent training brother @PDA3. Keep up the good work and yes I was digging the prone position shooting.

3 Likes

No transitions on this course, but I do get to practice some at my local range.

3 Likes

I made a 9mm 16" AR and a 16" 45 from the ground up with 80% lowers,made it for CQB actions

4 Likes

Have you had any luck firing HP ammo out of them? I’ve heard of a lot of folks having issues with HP out PCCs.

1 Like

Have not had any problems so far on test fire of the 130gr or the DRT 150gr hp

3 Likes

I load my own 124gr 9mm using RMR MPRs (now called NUKEs) which are JHPs. It’s the only ammo I used for the last 2 years.

I also have a couple of other 9mm PCCs. Have not had any issues with the JHPs on the HK or other PCCs. Must have shot over 5k rounds between them.

2 Likes

I only have 2 9mm,don:t really care for them,really prefer the 45 with the DRT rounds,Basically I have seen what a 45 130gr military round will do will
do to the human body,same as the 308 M14/L10,I have AR’s also mostly 62gr green tip but prefer the L10/308 as far as range goes

2 Likes

Interesting.
What’s the change in velocity with the longer barrel?
How do you like them? What was the cost for each build?
Sourcing for kits?

1 Like

[Larry252,from what I can remember they each cost under $400.00 for each complete with what I put on them,and as for volicity,I have no idea of the volicity of either,but are on the money up to 200yds,but are mainly for CQB,and the shorter barrels are easier the
move around indoors,but at the times I built the weapons the prices were way lower than now

1 Like

From what I understand they didn’t just change the name. They modified the bullet design and then gave it the new name. Have you tried any since the design change came about?

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct.

The new Nukes expand at much lower velocities than the MPRs. I actually tested them on gel and gel with denim at about 1125 FPS from my Glock 43. Got consistent expansion.

I could not get the old MPRs to expand at all with denim at velocities I was comfortable testing.

The Nuke bullet is the same profile, but 0.01" shorter than MPRs which made the hollow point opening just a little bigger.

2 Likes

I tried the MPRs on gallon water jugs. They expanded and lost jackets. Jackets tore in irregular ways. But at a dime each for jhp I was thrilled with them! Plus they were consistent and accurate. Hitting steel at 100 was boring. Pretty easy at 150 yards too.

Did you have to adjust your dies when going from the MPR to the Nuke?

How’s the accuracy?

I sure wish RMR would make a 147 grain hollow point…

I didn’t have to adjust the dies when I tested since they were the same profile. While the OAL was 0.01" shorter, they just passed the plunk test on my shortest barrel just like the MPRs at the longer OAL.

Accuracy was on par with the MPRs, but I didn’t go much further than 7 yards that time.

Here’s a couple of pics from my test with velocity and penetration depth. You’ll see a couple of other unmarked tracks that penetrated to similar depths to show consistency.

The spiraling track was from the bullet that passed through 4 layers of denim. It still passed through the 16" block after doing that.

1 Like

Wow thanks for the photos! I love it when us normal folks can get mushrooms that look like what the manufacturers marketing photos look like. I’m looking forward to trying some of the nukes after I use up the last few thousand MPRs I’ve got to load.

2 Likes

Awesome I bet it was very educational. I just signednup for two classes with Fieldcraft Survival, Im so stoked.

2 Likes