Muzzle Discipline - Gym Bag

When I go to the gym I place my EDC in an outside pocket of my gym bag, of course I leave it in the holster.

Been doing it like this for years. THEN Yesterday it occurred to me, when I walk into gym the muzzle of Kimberly is being pointed at everyone in front/behind me. So now I’m wondering if I should unload her while she’s in the bag? The risk of UD is rather slight but still it’s a loaded gun being pointed at unintended targets.

Is this a case of gross loss of muzzle discipline.

3 Likes

You can’t position the handgun so the muzzle is facing down? I don’t like the idea of loading and unloading unnecessarily. NDs are far more likely to occur during administrative handling, not while the firearm is innocently resting in its holster. Yes, flagging innocent people is bad, even if the firearm is in a holster, like the guys with shoulder holsters where the muzzle is facing horizontally behind them.

8 Likes

Duh! Now I feel really stupid.
Thanks for pointing out a sensible solution.

5 Likes

How’s about putting a piece of Velcro on your holster and the internal pocket of your gym bag and stick it together facing in downward position.

7 Likes

Presumably, if it’s in a holster and the trigger guard is covered it is safe.

8 Likes

Agree 100 percent with you brother @SkippySanchez.

6 Likes

You could empty the chamber and reinsert the mag.

3 Likes

My weapon is carried in a shoulder holster and when in the holster it is pointed down,and all my pistols have thumb safeties

1 Like

That is good. I am sure that you are aware that not alll shoulder holsters are designed like that - which is what I was referring to - as that is what I stated. External safeties do not change the issue of flagging. Neither does the status of the firearm being loaded or not.

We all read about NDs. The claim of the person that had the ND is almost always “I thought it was not loaded.” The other famous/infamous claim is it accidentally went off as I was cleaning it. Yes, we all clean loaded firearms. [sarc]

6 Likes

this is the only shoulder I have ever used since I got out of the Military in 65

4 Likes

The holster is all cloth and is very comfortable to me,it is part of me and never bothers me

5 Likes

If your carry gun is a 1911 or a Browning Hi Power, you may consider installing an SFS spring arrangement where Condition 1 carry is hammer down with a bullet in the chamber rather than the traditional Condition 1 carry where the hammer is cocked and locked. Pointing in at a target requires pressing the safety level, which “cocks” the hammer for traditional shooting. It also means that if someone takes your firearm from your gym bag, they’re unlikely to quickly figure out how to fire the weapon.

Here’s a link to BHSpringSoultions web site that sells these SFS systems.

1911 Series 70 SFS | BHSpringSolutions LLC

5 Likes

Mike that’s a great question, which I’m sure you have arrived at a solution. But let’s have some fun. Having read your post, I have one question with two parts that arrests my attention; the first part, "is the gun on meds, is it temperamental, does it suffer moments of delusion or unpredictability, is it subject to just go off, or is there a concern that it might go off at undetermined times? If you answer, yes, to any of the above then the solution is to get rid of that gun immediately or send it back to the manufacturer because it definitely has a problem. The second part is, what are you considering as loaded vs unloaded? Is there a full magazine with one in the pipe, or just the magazine with no round in the pipe? Or is the gun empty and the magazine is somewhere else altogether?

On a serious note, if it’s your concern to ensure that you are being as safe as possible, I would suggest you simply consider reorienting your holster in such a way that it’s pointing in the safest direction possible and carry on. Overall, I would say your concern is legitimate, because you are concerned about it. And that’s what responsibly armed American citizens do. Here, here!

5 Likes

Well there was that one time when she talked back to me… But really

I actually feel a bit embarrassed after reading some of the comments. This week end I bought a pocket holster that she would fit into and sewed Velcro on, then I sewed the other side of the Velcro into the bag. Now, taking the advice from others on here, when Kimberly is in the bag she points at the floor.

7 Likes

Yeah, I mean, if it’s unloaded why clean it [sarc]?

4 Likes