More trigger discipline training

Why am I posting another thread on trigger discipline? Because everyone learns differently.

When I learned to drive it was on a manual transmission car. My mom tried to teach me - and I kept killing it. My dad tried to teach me - kept killing it. My brother, who’s just a year older than I am, explained it differently and it clicked. They each told me the same thing, just in different words. People learn differently so hopefully one of the conversations about trigger discipline will hit it just right for you!

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/triggered-mastering-the-trigger-press/

What are your key takeaways from this article?

1 Like

Good article. I’m a firm believer in the coin/empty brass drill, but, when I work with new shooters, I try to feel them out for what will work for them. If we make a chore out of it, people will get turned off from the practice.

2 Likes

In trying to diagnose my own accuracy issues I decided it came down to the relationship between my finger and the trigger. I thought it was an improper press but learned through hours of practice it was related much more to my finger placement on the trigger. …

How did I diagnose and cure the problem? The simplest, cheapest, and easiest way possible.

Using a snap cap I went through thousands of reps shooting people on the TV from both sitting and standing positions 10’ from the TV. I watched the movement of the front sight and it’s deviation from point of aim as I pressed the trigger through the release of the firing pin.

I later repeated the same using a laser and pinpoint target on the wall about the size of a dime with a black circle and a completely white background.

Thee are lots of “right ways” to get there.

For rifle students I am a huge fan of balancing a quarter on the end of the barrel in either the prone supported or sitting supported (bench) position.