Mixing different manufactures ammo

trying to straighten up and organize my ammo stockpile. I have range bags to put it in. is there any harm in mixing some different manufactures ammo? same grain weight and bullet profile. I’m down to the last few odd ball boxes and then I’m done

5 Likes

There shouldn’t be any problem with mixing ammo, I have done this many times in practice to check the reliability of mags and pistols and AK. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Target or SD ammo?
Target ammo - doesn’t matter. The worst what can happen is simple malfunction… and that’s what has to be avoided with SD ammo :smirk:

I usually shoot single manufacturer per range trip but already had couple sessions when I mixed ammo from different boxes (FMJ, different manufacturers, different grains, one box was over 2 years old) and never experienced single problem.

You must be aware of the firearm you’re gonna use for this experiment. :crazy_face: You know… Staccatos eats everything… :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

EDIT; target Ammo only

4 Likes

my ruger’s eat everything to

5 Likes

I guess I’m a little OCD when it comes to SD ammo. I don’t mix and match what I carry. I don’t like taking chances that something might perform differently than the way I have tried and tested things.

But it’s probably not too big of an issue if you can’t tell a difference in the way they perform and have the same POI out to reasonable ranges. As long as you know your gun eats both brands perfectly well. I’d at least try some mixed together to see if that introduces any new problems.

The one issue I could see during practice is that if you do start having a problem it would be harder to figure out which brand is causing the problem or if it is the combination.

4 Likes

so am I, meant say range ammo only.
my self defense ammo is pretty much all the same with a box or 2 of other brands

5 Likes

Of course they do :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I have a few military ammo cans that I call my torture test ammo. When I have a few rounds of anything left over in a box, including range and SD ammo I throw them into these cans, of course sorted by caliber but all mixed in.

When I buy a new gun those are the cans I take to the range and I load all mags with a mix of whatever I pull out in no particular order. Example: in 9mm it could be anything from 115-147gr and FMJ to HPs, +P and non-+P.

The idea is that if the gun will run flawlessly with this mess of ammo then gun AND mags are fine to roll, AND I get to break in my new gun with ammo I needed to burn anyway so win-win.

So no, mix away…

8 Likes

So does my G19 G5.
Saved $2,000 by switching to Glock

:rofl:

9 Likes

that literally had me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: my wife ran in make sure I was ok

5 Likes

I’m waiting for the polymer frame Staccato :grinning:

4 Likes

My Sig P320 just shoots bullets and spits out cartridges. I wish it would eat everything. :unamused: :laughing: I need a Staccato.

4 Likes

6 Likes

The only thing to be mindful of by mixing you will probably lose the ability to account for lot no. should you have a failure of some sort, or if rust occurs, or swelling, etc. Otherwise, I can’t see any problem with mixing, particularly if you are a frequent shooter. It’s all going to get shot anyway. Now, that’s with training ammo. With SD Ammo, I tend to be more accountable with maintaining its separation.

3 Likes

Don’t think there any harm, only if you have a ammo related malfunction and want to track the problem. :us:

3 Likes

same here my SD ammo is separated and in a different storage box.

3 Likes

This range ammo and same bullet weight I wouldn’t worry about it a second

3 Likes

I will mix like-ammo one magazine to the next (range ammo only), but not within the same mag. Can’t point to any statistical foundation for this - just force of habit.

6 Likes

I run factory in EDC.
as for range/practice ammo they are stored in lots wen they are reloaded
no mixing, If there is an issue I can separate the ammo from the other runs
target load 45 ACP works great in the shield but acts up with the colt 1911
1/2 grain more of powder and they cycle fine

5 Likes