Marine Who Protected NYC Train Passengers Charged With Manslaughter

I don’t think being a Marine or the clothes he wears makes a difference unless the people judging him are biased to marines. I think what is important is he have a good lawyer. Biases don’t make for fair trials.

4 Likes

In NYC? It could backfire against him.

4 Likes

a few family members are retired marines and they are working with someone to get as many as possible up to ny pre trial, during and after

6 Likes

I don’t know how long ago this thug tried to kill the victim but attempted murder is not a light arrest but this terrorist should have spent enough years he wouldn’t have been killed. Although being put behind bars doesn’t guarantee he would come out with more anger and desire to go after someone else

3 Likes

I thought I read he was mentally ill and known to NYPD. If that’s the case (which seems believable because it’s all too common), he was not a terrorist. He was yet another failed victim of the nation’s broken mental health system.

Maybe it’s time we stop throwing the violently mentally ill people out in the streets of New York City and hoping the police will know what to do with them.

5 Likes

FOX News
FOX News

Follow

Prominent Marine vets defend Daniel Penny amid NYC chokehold controversy

Story by Fox News • 2h ago

Prominent Marine veterans are speaking out in defense of fellow veteran Daniel Penny, who is at the center of controversy over his use of a chokehold that resulted in the death of a homeless man.

“The same broken corrupt system that failed this mentally ill individual is now failing to protect a hero that simply was trying to stop the aggression and threats to protect innocent people,” Victor Marx, a Marine veteran and founder of All Things Possible, told Fox News Digital. “He had no intent to kill or even injure the attacker, it’s unfortunate that death occurred as a result of a good Samaritan’s desire to protect people. Semper Fi, brother, you will be exonerated and freed.”

The comments come as Penny was charged with second-degree manslaughter last week for his role in the choking death of Jordan Neely on a New York City train.

A police report regarding the May 1 incident stated that Neely was acting in a “hostile and erratic” manner toward passengers on the train, shouting threats that he would hurt people and announcing that he did not mind “going to jail or getting life in prison.”

KID ROCK A TOP DONOR TO DANIEL PENNY’S DEFENSE IN NYC SUBWAY CHOKEHOLD DEATH

Video of the incident widely circulated on social media shows Penny step in to subdue Neely, putting him in a chokehold that reportedly lasted about 15 minutes. After authorities arrived, Neely was transported to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

READ ON THE FOX NEWS APP

The viral video stirred online debate, split between those who hailed Penny as a hero and others who believed he used excessive force in the situation.

But the fact that video of the encounter was available at all stuck out to Marine veteran and author Chad Robichaux.

“Put down the cellphones to record a violent criminal attacking the innocent and help… that’s what this Marine did,” the Mighty Oaks Foundation founder told Fox News Digital.

Robichaux also took issue with those who believe the Marines, who teach the technique Penny used during basic training, should rethink the training.

NYC MARINE VETERAN CHARGED IN DEATH OF MAN ‘MAKING THREATS AND SCARING PASSENGERS’: PROSECUTORS

“So when do we stop teaching Marines how to shoot rifles? Marines are trained to defend those who can’t defend themselves… something society can learn from,” Robichaux said.

Marine veteran and author Stuart Scheller argued that Penny is a “hero” who defended a woman who was being threatened.

“I stand with Daniel Penny. The only thing evil needs is for good people to do nothing,” the “Crisis of Command” author told Fox News Digital. “A career criminal threatened a woman in an enclosed space. A Marine made a courageous decision to help. The outcome was unfortunate, but Penny’s critics are the same people who would never defend a woman in need. Daniel Penny is my hero.”

Neely, who at 30 years old had been arrested over 40 times, had a history of violence while riding the New York City subway. In one 2021 incident, Neely punched a 67-year-old woman in the face, causing injuries that included a broken nose and orbital bone. Just months prior, he hit another woman in the face. In 2019, he sucker-punched two men at different subway stations one month apart, breaking one man’s nose.

JORDAN NEELY DEATH: MARINE VET DANIEL PENNY DEFENSE FUND GROWS BY STAGGERING AMOUNT IN ONE DAY

According to Mark Geist, a Marine veteran and founder of the Shadow Warriors Project, Penny did everything right in the circumstances he was facing.

“Penny did everything right,” Geist, who authored “13 Hours: The Inside Account of What Really Happened In Benghazi,” told Fox News Digital. “Once observing the video footage of the Marine and the innocent bystanders… It was clear that Penny held the threat in a basic restraint. The restraint he used, he used while exercising every precaution to the welfare of the individual he was restraining. It was clear in the video that was ensuring that the pressure was not put on the trachea/esophagus but instead put on the carotid artery.”

Geist added that the restraint used by Penny typically causes “a person to pass out” but still allows them to breathe, while Penny and other bystanders helped move Neely to the “rescue position” after breaking the chokehold.

“They rolled him on his left side, then extended his left arm, making sure his head was supported,” Geist said. "Penny then straightened one of legs and bent the knee of the other, completing the recovery position. This position is ideal because when the threat wakes up, he’s in a safe position that also protects those around him, should he want to fight again. "

Chokeholds have long been a point of controversy in New York City, most notably after their use was banned for NYPD officers.

Penny’s use of the technique drew criticism from some Marine veterans, including Gabriel Murphy, who started a petition calling for the prosecution of Penny.

“The individual who choked Mr. Neely to death should be prosecuted for murder,” the petition read, according to Military.com. “I hope that the military community joins me in disavowing the actions of this individual.”

But Penny also received the support of a legal defense fundraising effort that has surpassed $2 million, including donations from Kid Rock, presidential candidate and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, and more than 42,000 others.

“Mr. Penny is a hero. Alvin Bragg is a POS,” Kid Rock said in a comment along with his donation.

8 Likes

If he was terrorizing people, then he is a terrorist! Who said he was mentally ill? His family?
Mental illness is the excuse “Du Jour” and has lost its credibility.
I worked in the Jail and Prision system for 16 years and have known only 4 people who were truly
mentally ill and none of them were violent, although I never turned my back on anyone.

5 Likes

According to 18 USC, a terrorist is one who:

(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended —
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping;

Certainly Neely threatened to perform acts dangerous to human life. I’m not convinced he coerced a population to influence a government policy. I find it much more likely that he was nuts, and should not have been set loose on the streets and subways of NYC. But that’s where our local governments are at, these days. They’re happy to let dangerous people loose in the morning and then try to disarm citizens in the afternoon.

It was in the article. It said Neely had a history of mental illness. You can speculate otherwise if you wish, I’m just going by the information as presented. Certainly we have a mental health issue in this country. We used to keep mental patients in hospitals or homes. Now we just let them roam about until they die on the street or end up in jail.

4 Likes

Soo… Then his family and new york city are responsible for his death when they could have gotten him some help. Not a Marine who stepped up.
We all know what is written in the papers is gospel. Otherwise, I really don’t care dude. :slightly_smiling_face:

Marines are trained to defend those who can’t defend themselves… something society can learn from," Robichaux said.

Marine veteran and author Stuart Scheller argued that Penny is a “hero” who defended a woman who was being threatened.

“I stand with Daniel Penny. The only thing evil needs is for good people to do nothing,” the “Crisis of Command” author told Fox News Digital. “A career criminal threatened a woman in an enclosed space. A Marine made a courageous decision to help. The outcome was unfortunate, but Penny’s critics are the same people who would never defend a woman in need. Daniel Penny is my hero.”

8 Likes

It seems like we are living in an alternate reality where good is bad and bad is good. We need to stand our ground and not give in to this insanity promoted by a minority of people. A lot of folks in power are ignoring or do not have a moral compas for political reasons. Phycological and spiritual warfare is at hand.
Semper Fi

7 Likes

If this POS had been tucked safely in his cage where he belonged, there were 42 opportunities, our hero marine, the true victim here, would never have met him on the subway.
The system and everyone involved in it failed both of them and the taxpayers totally.

6 Likes

The same DA, part of the same system that put the nut on the streets?
Charging the hero with a crime is nothing more than CYA.
“If he’s wrong, then I can’t be blamed.”

4 Likes

Yes. Even if he lived somewhere else and the incident happened in Manhattan. The coverage is good in all 50 states and US Territories and all lawful acts of self defense are covered.

5 Likes

I will admit I think the same thing. “ only the raven knows“ (Edgar, Allan Poe)

1 Like

Yes, we agree on that.

5 Likes

“Maybe it’s time we stop throwing the violently mentally ill people out in the streets of New York City and hoping the police will know what to do with them”.
YES! TRUTH!
We should Treat/House the mentally Ill, not cast them out to the streets and let them get themselves killed probably by Police just responding to another dangerous ‘Nut Job’ with a knife,bat,gun call.
And then look what happens to the Cops ! You get ‘scarred’ shooting/killing somebody (@ least I did, I will just speak for me), and then to have it be ‘Your Job’ to do it PROTECT and SERVE sucks. I’ve never had a problem shooting someone who was trying to kill me or my people. Not one wink of sleep lost. It’s the INNOCENT’S that were ‘in the way’, ‘collateral damage’ that caused me nightmare’s. And these ‘empty suits’ are the cause of this. We have the money to piss away to allow Zelensky to by another Villa in Argentina (that’s right folks ANOTHER villa) so he can be close to his Not-Zee friends, but we can’t ‘afford’ to house the Ill/Vet’s/migrants (legal migrants) ? that’s sick.
Our Veterans are in the same boat! Treat/House/FEED/clothe! them. They did their job! They fought for the ‘wicked’ in the Swamp. And now their are discharged, retired, section8 and they are tossed away like yesterday’s food scraps…NO! that is not how it should be. Treat the cause, Be a friggin’ human being to another who needs help.
This marine Daniel Penny isn’t a HERO…wait, wait folks… He is a human being who saw a problem and took the initiative (as soldiers do) and ‘did something’ BEFORE an innocent strap hanger got hurt. People are FED-UP w/ this garbage. Let’s all be HUMAN BEINGS here and Love one another, no I really mean it. Let’s take out the trash and put people in place that aren’t making our lives miserable and their wallets FAT. Evil exist people because we let it. Mr. Penny stopped the threat, just like a “Good guy/Gal w/ a gun”.
End of sermon from Father Donald

6 Likes

GOD, Country, Corps

Semper Fi

7 Likes

I’ve asked a similar question many times “Will Delta Defense cover me in a pure hand to hand self defense situation?”, never got a clear response.

3 Likes

True karma/justice would be that Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg someday meet up with some of the real murderous perps in a dark alley at night.

6 Likes

And while he’s being mauled I’ll call for a therapist.

Good luck blue states, cops are running to states were someone has their backs!

There are these new comedies on tv, don’t know if you’ve seen them, they’re called LAW and ORDER…DING, DING! And FBI. They are hilarious, terrible acting, but the one liners, will have you rolling on the floor. Haven’t seen such comedy since Saturday Night Live!

6 Likes