MantisX Daily Challenge for Community Members

Tonight’s dry fire…
I thought I wasn’t going to pull off the P365 tonight; I actually scored an 85.3 on one shot. :grimacing: But I got it together on the second set and ended well.

P226                                                 P365

1 Like

Business has been steady lately so, I haven’t been taking part. Here’s today’s Challenge that I intend to start in just a little bit using the P365.

Stay safe.

Okay, so I attempted the Challenge 4 times and actually did beat this score but, the MantisX app went all janky on me and stopped. So, I restarted and this is my best score.

I tried various sitting angles/inclinations in my power recliner. From sitting straight up to a slight lean back as if I were watching TV. To me, that was probably the most realistic because if I had to deploy a firearm, it would take too long to get the recliner back to a erect seated setting.

So, I just went with it.

I also remembered advice given about flagging the thumb on primary and support hand only drills. So, I conducted a few of those and paid attention to flagging the thumb. I’ve known this for a long time but I confess that I don’t do as much strong hand only/support hand only shooting as I should be doing. As a result, I slipped back into poor grip habits.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

Draw While Sitting

When I’m reclining, I’ll usually be going for a staged gun instead of from my waist. So I ran this one from an upright chair in front of a table — like at a business meeting or restaurant. Starting pushed back from the table, but concealed.

I got my ranking up by waiting for the curve to fill in a bit. :blush:

I was having a hard time with my attention wandering this afternoon — I was going not great but pretty solid most of this run, then drifted off for a few shots in the middle. I managed better at MantisX Benchmark with a Micro380 than with red dot on a full size gun. But everything else went kind of twitchy. :grimacing:

1 Like

Live ammo inaugural run with new MRDS today. Not quite as hoped. A dry fire zero by laser cartridge, while very consistent, did not throw lead where it was supposed to go.

So today’s mission turned into getting the sight zeroed before my fingers and toes froze up. At 5yd a few runs to realize the zero was off; then a few groups at 5yd walking into position; then a 5-shot group at ten yards made 1/2" x 3/8" about 3/4" high and maybe 1/8" right.

A few more clicks, and a 1-1/4" x 1" group in the center of the 15 yard steel.

I think that’s about as good as the pistol and I want or need to do at this point. Today, I don’t really care what MantisX thinks about my grip or trigger press.
[Thought I couldn’t bring this on-topic, huh?] :innocent:

2 Likes

It’s been a busy week leading into the weekend. Two range days and a great concealed carry class in the books.

Apparently Mantis listens to it’s customers. It’s no secret that I’m not find of some of the “blindfolded” challenges and I requested something more practical for dry fire using low/no light situations with illumination from a handheld or weapon mounted light.

So without further adieu …

I’m looking forward to completing this challenge sometime today.

Stay safe out there

Here are my results:

And the summary … which continues to display a title from a Daily Challenge weeks ago for some reason. I reported this glitch in the app to Mantis. Anyone else have this happen?

I drained my rechargeable mount on my G19 for this one. Lots of good practice with practical benefits.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

We all have our views of which exercises are useful, and which are not so much. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I skipped today’s flashlight drill, but shot :pirate_flag: a couple days ago.

pirate Arrgh!!

I ripped through the Dark Mode a couple times (without darkness or lights) to see if I could replicate Frank’s title glitch — by end of afternoon PST the summary page came up correctly for me.

My regular exercises went fine today.

I started working on a challenge with another MantisX shooter to run Compressed Surprise Break RHO and LHO. I don’t have any braggy results from that yet. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I imagine that today’s Challenge is to test your ability to deploy your firearm after your strong hand is injured or otherwise encumbered. I suppose that a support hand draw from my AIWB rig is much easier than if I were at a 3 or 4 O’clock position.

It still wasn’t a walk in the park …

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

Back from a week-long road trip to a place where I had to keep everything locked up…

Out of Breath isn’t a drill for after dinner. Usually, I can hold my breath for 2+ minutes, but not on a full stomach.

Forgot to snap the bar chart, but this was only better than 86%.

My regular goal went a little better:

:arrow_left: P226 / P365 :arrow_right:

2 Likes

I was in my jammies by the time I got to anything last night, so too late for holster exercises. I just shot the laser. I didn’t feel like holding my breath today, so I shot yesterday’s drill tonight on Open Training.

Scoring kind of like @Frank73 :sweat: but much slower.

I’m never quick with this manipulation, but I was having trouble with a modified holster, and the gun was all fumbley — MantisX on the mag base and red dot on the slide didn’t roll as I was accustomed. So, I just crawled through it and tried to pull an ok trigger.

Monday I managed to get a brag-worthy Prone session.

Second run after moving MantisX from mag to rail to make sure I wasn’t bracing hardware on the floor, just arms.

2 Likes

Today’s Challenge. I am taking a couple of clients to the range this morning. So, afterwards, I’ll give this a go.

Stay safe out there.

1 Like

First run averaged two seconds faster, but average score was five points lower. I was trying to get an actual sight picture in low light over tritium dots, and it did take me a while to resolve a steady hold — not sure if that was why faster equals more weak scores, or just coincidence in warming up to the drill.

2 Likes

Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug…

P226 … … … … P365

It was all going so well until the last one or two shots < 95.

1 Like

Man, what an eye!
I can sympathize with not hitting your aspiration, but light pity for “only” making 97 avg.
:crying_cat_face:

I started strong, but faded half way in.

Couldn’t stay pissed long enough, I guess. :innocent: Managed to snag my aspiration of ≥95 avg, and 96.0 might be my high water on Benchmark, so fine.

Passing score on the Pickup, but I think the hot shooters must be skipping Daily Challenges — I seem to be ranking fairly high with just middling points.

1 Like

Family is in town and visiting for the week. So no gun handling at all.

I’ll be back next week. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who participates in this discussion.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

As much as I dislike the name of today’s challenge, I did it:

2 Likes

Rolling with the best!

I got to throw lead today. Cleanup, notes, misc aftermath, and deferred chores ate up dry fire time. Nothing spectacular at the range, but progress in figuring out where I am and how to get where I need to go with the MRDS. Laser beams alone won’t do it. :boom: :boom: :boom:
:exploding_head:

2 Likes

I thought it was going to be a perfect night, but the P365 decided to be obstreperous.

Daily Challenge

<<<< P226 :+1: … P365 :-1: >>>>
(All shots need to be > 95.0)

1 Like

Awww. :crying_cat_face: But wow.

I made good groups with the recording laser afterward, but could not find my groove with MantisX tonight. For the record:

I try to say anything above the mean is ok, but really.
Benchmark was not much better, so no need to waste the photons.
Not sure what was up.

1 Like