MantisX Daily Challenge for Community Members

Wow, I haven’t seen that one. Truly bizarre — weird consistency and weird magnitude for what is clearly a device error.

I (sort of) believe in the small fails. Sometimes I know I’ve made a sloppy pull, sometimes I think I did it right but the machine disagrees. So it goes; I can’t be a perfect witness to my twitches and lapses.

But occasionally (guessing maybe as much as 5% of the time) I will get a run of low scores which just don’t seem to reflect how I feel about my shooting at the time. What can it be if not me? Seems like the gun could make weird movements and/or the MantisX device could misread the movements.

So I reset the device (hold button until the light flashes red/blue/purple) and let it recalibrate; I jiggle the trigger around; and I jiggle the magazine around (where I mount the device). Usually, thereafter I get scores which feel more like how I am actually shooting.

But I have no idea whether I am actually correcting something mechanical gone amiss, or if I’m just doing a superstition ritual like wearing my lucky sock to the big game — producing a more stable mind/body state. Clearly, @Alces_Americanus has a real thing going on.

Although, I’ve got to say, even with the device in seizure, shooting six points of variation is pretty uneven for Mr. Consistent — must have been unsettled upon hear that first score. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Maybe, once you get to a certain level, MantisX introduces stressors to enhance your training for critical incidents.

1 Like

Waiting for my X3, should get it on Saturday.

2 Likes

You might indeed say so! Look at the shot timer, and you’ll see how surprised I was after that first.

Mantis got back to me after I shared with them. They told me this happens, though it’s rare. Just turn off the unit and recalibrate, they said.

1 Like

Excellent! Maybe we can indeed reinvigorate this thread!

Sure, but after a five-second pause — you bear down, force another 5 points out of the damn thing, and then just start knocking them off with a flat line on the new curve.

How many boiled eggs can you eat?

Out of the Box

Just got my X3, right out of the box I messed around a little bit. I’m actually surprised, at least with this small dry fire sample set, that I seem to handle my Springfield better than my Kimber which is my EDC. I probably have twice the rounds through my 9MM that I do my .380.
Oh well practice practice practice.

2 Likes

Looking forward to watching your progress.

I dislike the title of this challenge, but the drill itself is worthwhile. (I think it’s actually part of the FBI qualification test.) Anyway, today’s results:

1 Like

I was hitting targets just fine today, but impressing MantisX? Not so much.

1 Like

No. I did not accept the challenge.

I guess if someday I find myself ziptied while cleaning my gun, I will just die.
:bomb:

2 Likes

I don’t know if the imagined captors in this scenario are dumb, arrogant, or both. Why would they leave my gun — disassembled or not — laying in front of me, and then apparently exit the room?

1 Like

This and some of the other challenges are what prompted me to drift away from my daily Mantis use. I suppose in their defense, there are only so many exercises one could program into the system.

Good to see you staying with it.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

I look at the Daily Challenge and decide whether it seems interesting or relevant. Because a given exercise only comes up once in a long while, the Challenges seem more about entertainment than training. Occasionally pointing out a relevant manipulation infrequently practiced.

The regular routine with MantisX remains a regular rotation of skill building and maintenance — just like most live or dry fire practice. Carry on.

2 Likes

I guess for me, I’m just out on the range enough. I don’t have time for Mantis any longer.

Carrying on.

1 Like

I usually shoot a bit better with gloves, but they cost me a little in time and dexterity. The most obvious explanation led me to move my grip insert up a size larger than “felt right”. To generally good effect.

Today, however, was something else. I was on fire — for about six shots. Then I apparently got too impressed with myself, and let my attention wander. But still…

Now I want a grip which fits like my gloves, but doesn’t slow me down. (In this untimed series, I felt steadier and actually broke shots quicker than a usual slow fire MantisX Benchmark — but gloves slow my draw to first shot.)

1 Like

Nice numbers. Don’t you just love it when you hear her say “99?”

1 Like

Sweet.

I was shooting only ok today. I thought I was running the opposite of your low malfunction. Came to earth eventually — bad news and good. :grin:

1 Like

Pick up the gun. Shoot 10. Make your goal. A good day.

1 Like

I think you’re starting to get the hang of it. Keep practicing!
:wink:

1 Like

Feels like it. Some days. Thx.

1 Like