Man who randomly shot couple was out on bail on prior gun charge

This is what Texas came to

1 Like

" This past April, Cazares was freed from jail on bond after he was arrested for being a felon in possession of a weapon, Fox 26 reported.

Last October, Cazares was also freed on bond after being arrested for damaging a motel room, the same outlet reported.

Finally, he was again released on bond after being arrested for trespassing at a fire station."

Wow. I don’t get letting these people out on bail.

You know how the left wants to make gun manufacturers liable for crimes committed with the firearms they produce?

How about we make judges and defense attorneys liable for the crimes committed by felons released on bail? Seems fair.

7 Likes

While I agree somewhat, our justice system is not like that. Judges often free people based on the law, not based on what we might think is fair.

" The American system, grounded in the British Common Law, has long erred on the side of protecting innocence. Thus we presume an accused person’s innocence until they are proven guilty. As the preeminent English jurist William Blackstone wrote,"[B]etter that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer."74 This principle can also be found in religious texts and in the writings of the American Founders.75 Benjamin Franklin went further arguing "it is better a hundred guilty persons should escape than one innocent person should suffer.“76”

https://www.cato.org/policing-in-america/chapter-4/blackstones-ratio

1 Like

Well, of course. I spoke in jest – at least partially so. My point is, however, that some people don’t have to directly suffer the consequences of their actions. If they did, the actions they choose might be very different.

And the point about the left’s thinking (“thinking”) on gun manufacturer liability was just because I like to point out absurd liberal hypocrisy whenever it’s convenient.

2 Likes

Does not take very long to find plenty of that! What I don’t get is letting people out on bail multiple times… If they are found not guilty, let them out, but really.

1 Like

This is a recent phenomenon, isn’t it. I don’t recall stories that egregious from before 2019.

Think these stories have a long history though it seems to be increasing in frequency now with the Covid and social justice issues.

1 Like