Mall of America gun free zone

5 Likes

I work in a Federal facility and every time I walk in the door, I see a sign that pisses me off. For your safety no Firearms or weapons allowed. Our Active shooter plan is to hide.

7 Likes

Had that sign too…treated it like how j.q. Public treats speed limit signs.

6 Likes

Again, this is in Utah…

It is LEGAL to carry a firearm into private businesses with “No Weapon” and “No Firearm” signs.
Utah law states a “secure area” may not include any area normally accessible to the public.
This means that businesses who post these signs Do Not have the force of law, but businesses may have policies that can restrict a person from carrying a firearm. When going in businesses with these signs and carrying a firearm, either open or concealed, you are ignoring the property owner’s policies. If you are asked to leave by the owner or any employee of the business, you must leave.

And as Important

Businesses or private property owners that do not post “no gun” signs or who knowingly allow a person who has a permit to carry a concealed firearm onto the owner’s property are not civilly or criminally liable for any damage or harm resulting from the discharge of the firearm by the permit holder while on the owner’s property. Unless the property owner solicits, requests, commands, encourages or intentionally aids the concealed firearm permit holder in discharging the firearm while on the owner’s property.

So based on that, why would any business that caters to the mass public want to limit Joe Q Public from carrying a firearm.
Side note, I think now that the law changed to no permit requires “knowingly allow a person who has a permit to carry a concealed firearm” is kinda moot.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the day when someone is hurt in a public shooting event, and sues the pants off the property owner for preventing them from carrying their own firearm to defend themselves.

It might never happen, but I keep waiting.

6 Likes

Finally realized the thing that was poking my brain’s irony receptors; the mall’s acronym, MOA. (If you know, you know.)

5 Likes

2 Likes

In each instance he probably protested his own release. His disagreement with such enacted an event that would ensure he gets locked up for a longer period of time, now he’s right at home

3 Likes

Malls are notorious for this. That’s why I avoid them. Also ironically, Amazon will make shopping malls extinct soon….

2 Likes