Mags carried

I carry a Sig P320 M17 with one spare magazine. So, like @lew, 17+1 plus 17 in the spare magazine. I figure if I need more than 35 rounds I’m in deeper than I ever want to be.

Mike

2 Likes

@WildRose Do you have a better way to clear this type of malfunction then? I’m legitimately asking because this vid shows the way I learned to clear a double feed.

3 Likes

@Spence, I just took NRA Defensive Pistol Saturday as a refresher and they had us lock the slide back first when we observed a fail to extract/double feed situation, drop the mag, rack 3 times, then insert a new mag, rack the slide and go from there. That was different from my PD training where we extracted the mag first, then racked 2 times, inserting a new mag, then racking again.

The instructor was a retired LEO and said they still teach the PD to extract the mag first, but the NRA wants civilians training to lock the slide back first. I wonder why the NRA has gone to the different method?

3 Likes

Not sure, but I’m going to guess that its because locking the slide back relieves some pressure on the jammed rounds, making the mag easier to remove. With the slide forward it can take a lot of force to strip the mag out and some folks, especially if the have a very narrow lip on the mag, wont be able to do it. Given that, its more likely in general that the mag strip will work the first time of you remove the slide pressure. In a panic, that means you’re less likely to vaporlock struggling to remove the mag and forget to do yet another step of locking the slide back when you cant get the mag out.

4 Likes

@Zee, I can see that, but locking the slide back in a stressful situation seems almost as hard, but I guess not as hard. Thanks for the insights.

1 Like

@Shepherd like anything in this arena, if you trained it into muscle memory it’ll work under stress, and if you didn’t it might not.

2 Likes

Mostly I think it’s about the vaporlock. Don’t want them to spend precious seconds struggling with the mag instead of taking the next action.

This isn’t a double feed, it’s a failure to extract which is different. In this case you’ve got a fired round stuck in the chamber and the next round being fed in is blocked by it.

In a true double feed you actually have two rounds being fed in at the same time and of course only space for one. Simply racking the slide will almost always clear it.

Sometimes you get a full extraction but not an ejection which causes a similar problem and this is probably the most common scenario of all and in that case the same prescription of just racking it will usually clear the problem.

If you have a fired case stuck in the chamber dropping the mag isn’t going to help but it is the first step in the right direction. If you don’t drop the mag and start racking you’re problems are just going to multiply.

Personally, in a fight I’m not going to be expecting the least likely of the three to be the problem and nothing will get you back in the fight as quickly and easily as simply racking the slide to clear the two most common problems.

Because it releases the spring pressure exerted by the mag against the slide making it much easier to extract the magazine.

Most of the models I’ve shot have a very tough to depress magazine release catch as long as spring pressure is being exerted against it making a one handed mag drop extremely difficult.

The more rounds in the mag, the more tension on the mag release.

1 Like

@WildRose yep, that’s my experience. Haven’t had double feed issues on the Glock, but on my P89 it happens once in a blue moon. One of my instructors says “you’re going to have to rip the mag out, it won’t release. Rip that thing out of there like your life depends on it, because it does.”

4 Likes

The original Glocks were the worst I’ve ever seen with those plastic mags. Even with a clean release of the mag release full mags just didn’t want to come out. We spent a lot of time sanding both our mags and the mag well getting them where they would come out easily.

1 Like

Locking the slide back relieves pressure on the chamber so that when you drop the mag the jamming round has little to no pressure and will drop out or become free and then racking the slide will free the in chamber round. Three racks makes sure the chamber is ready for new round and since chamber is empty when mag is inserted racking the slide makes you operational.

1 Like

As some others have said, usually just the one in my pistol. Lately I have been carrying one extra, opposite to my pistol. It seems to balance the weight better.

As I have mentioned before, I primarily carry a relatively lite pistol, the Browning 1911-380.

1 Like

I usually carry two extra extended magazines with all of my carry choices.

2 Likes

Just the one in the magazine well (carries 12) I’m not interested in more since Chicago PD are equal opportunity shooters they tend to want to shoot everyone. I’ve been shot twice in my life believe me the pain doesn’t hurt any less the second time. Like I said my first time was in Hue, Vietnam 1969, fast forward 2016 Chicago by Latin Kings street gang.

1 Like

Carry two In the tool pockets on the legs of my carhartt, one on my belt in a alien gear mag carrier, and one on my left leg in a bug bite holster

1 Like

Glock 43x and a Safe2Fire horizontal magazine carrier on my belt left side.

1 Like

I have a dual carrier from 1791 that I can run mags for either my Glock 17 or 48 depending on what I feel like carrying that day. I also have a dual mag carrier and holster from Stealth holsters. They are plastic, not pretty, inexpensive but effective…options are good right. I carry 2 extra pretty much all the time.

2 Likes

Welcome to the group @mtrclist! Do you carry on your bike? I know @dawn is always looking at bike carry options.

1 Like