Magazine Limits: What Are They and Which States Have Them? | USCCA

You may have heard how limiting the magazine capacity of firearms will curb the number of fatalities during mass shootings. This is a common gun myth. Still, it is critical that you understand which states have magazine-capacity limitations for handguns. Currently, there are 11 states with magazine-capacity restrictions that range from 10 to 20 rounds of ammunition.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/magazine-limits-what-are-they-and-which-states-have-them/
5 Likes

Stop the Myth:

7 Likes

In Virginia, the mag limit only applies to those without a CHP. If you have a CHP, you can carry OC or CC and the mag limit does not apply.

4 Likes

People forget wether it is a 3 round mag or a 30 round mag it only takes something like 2.3 seconds to change a mag. I had this same conversation with a RUGER parts rep. she asked why would you want 6ea. 3 round mags

4 Likes

I aam new to this. What is a CHP?

1 Like

In Nebraska a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) is the “proper” designation for a CCW.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community!

It is a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). States use various different titles for the government permission to “allow” you to exercise your RKBA. Some, like Virginia, specify that it is a handgun (only) concealed weapons permit, others, such as Texas issue a LTC (License to Carry). In South Carolina it is a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit). As this site is the USCCA, we generally assume others are referencing CC (Concealed Carry), unless otherwise stated (OC - open-carry).

2 Likes

Thanks. Now I know.

2 Likes

@Gerald39. Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

1 Like

I believe that having Virginia on the list as a state that limits capacity is misleading.

Code of Virginia 18.2-308.2:01 makes it unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any assault firearm or to knowingly and intentionally carry about his person, hidden from common observation, an assault firearm. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony. For purposes of this section, “assault firearm” means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

The code section only applies to people that aren’t citizens or people that are s not in the United States legally.

The other code section that limits magazine capacity is 18.2-308.7. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by persons under the age of 18 which makes it illegal for a minor to possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth. There are 4 exceptions to this code section.

@Dave17 I don’t believe that VA has a magazine capacity limit except for minors (with 4 exceptions) and non-citizens.

Appreciate the post. I’ve met some fellow longtime enthusiasts (family who I care deeply about), and met some gun store employees who also were not aware of their local laws. I was surprised; I guess it’s easy to overlook it if one does not actively seek out the information. The laws scared the heck out of me, so I opted to purchase a lower capacity arm, for when I’m in more/such regulated “cities, counties, or states”. Like my friend posted, got spare reloads. Legal and warm.

1 Like