Magazine Limits: What Are They and Which States Have Them? | USCCA

You may have heard how limiting the magazine capacity of firearms will curb the number of fatalities during mass shootings. This is a common gun myth. Still, it is critical that you understand which states have magazine-capacity limitations for handguns. Currently, there are 11 states with magazine-capacity restrictions that range from 10 to 20 rounds of ammunition.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/magazine-limits-what-are-they-and-which-states-have-them/
4 Likes

Stop the Myth:

7 Likes

In Virginia, the mag limit only applies to those without a CHP. If you have a CHP, you can carry OC or CC and the mag limit does not apply.

4 Likes

People forget wether it is a 3 round mag or a 30 round mag it only takes something like 2.3 seconds to change a mag. I had this same conversation with a RUGER parts rep. she asked why would you want 6ea. 3 round mags

4 Likes

I aam new to this. What is a CHP?

1 Like

In Nebraska a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) is the “proper” designation for a CCW.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community!

It is a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). States use various different titles for the government permission to “allow” you to exercise your RKBA. Some, like Virginia, specify that it is a handgun (only) concealed weapons permit, others, such as Texas issue a LTC (License to Carry). In South Carolina it is a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit). As this site is the USCCA, we generally assume others are referencing CC (Concealed Carry), unless otherwise stated (OC - open-carry).

1 Like

Thanks. Now I know.

2 Likes

@Gerald39. Welcome to the community, stay safe and train hard. :smiley:

1 Like