Loading Magazines - Max or No?

I have a 50 round drum. I have not used it yet but, I loaded it and dry ran it through. The first rounds double fed and jammed. This continued but lessoned as I got lower in ammo.

2 Likes

Maximum Capacity, If it’s a 30 rounder 30 rounds, if it’s 13 rounds 13 Go In, an engineer would be pretty poor or equipment substandard not to do what its supposed to. Interesting to note, Browning 9mm Highpower Magazines can take 13 or 14 rds, depending on the manafacturer of ammo!

So, when my 50 round drum doesn’t work, it is because of poor equipment standards. I suspected that but I am the type of guy that asks, How am I going to fix this?

2 Likes

Hey @Don45 I came back in to ask what @Gary_H already asked you :smiley: I also appreciate and thank you for your service.

The sticking point (literally) is loading a fully loaded magazine onto a closed bolt with 1 round already in the chamber of an AR15 (or MIL variety of the AR).

What I’m sorta piecing together out of this thread is that whether or not you’ve heard of this relates directly to whether or not you’ve done “tactical reloads” in either training or actual fighting. It seems like if you do it… you know the issue and if you don’t do it… you’ve never heard of the issue.

4 Likes

What brand is the drum @Todd30 ? Magpul’s 60 rounder seems to be pretty solid. I think other brands are rather hit & miss on whether or not you get a good one.

2 Likes

I have never used a drum mag so can’t speak from experience but it could be that the spring is too stiff. I have had some pistol magazines that were incredibly hard to load when new. I left them fully loaded for a couple weeks and they worked much better after that. Maybe that would work in this case?

2 Likes

Todd30, thank you for pointing out faults with my argument (I sincerely mean that!) There will always be bad products or poor manufacturing. There are even poor designs. It took me a long time to warm up to plastic firearms, and before I use anything I like to use it a few times to make sure it works. 30 Round AR Mags, Pistol double stack mags and single stacks have been around for a long time. As for drums I like the idea, but have shyed away. I can get 8 30rd Magpuls that are proven for the price of a 60rd drum, I am a victim of economics as well! And maybe I have too much faith in my equipment.

2 Likes

Mag Pro

1 Like

Harvey - My bad, should have paid closer attention to the problem. Our process was pretty standard. Insert full mag in empty weapon, cycle plunger, empty mag, drop empty mag and repeat.

1 Like