Let’s talk about what is in the News

Exactly. It’s also the kind of thing that is exacerbated by groups that want to pull stunts in states like Texas where it is perfectly legal to carry a long gun, while slung of course, in public.

This guy however rightfully triggered alarm in people by “Tacking Up” with the vest, fatigues etc signaling he was coming for a fight.

1 Like

I think if’/when they look into his school records we’re going to find some serious issues. In one of the interviews I saw with a few of his former classmates they indicated there were some.

Otherwise he apparently was flying under the radar until he posted his ranting manifesto online.

Politically he’s what I’d call a Political Schizophrenic because he was literally all over the place and while stuck on I believe voting for either Warren or Sanders, whole hogg on the green agenda, was a rabid racist and xenophobe who thought death was the appropriate penalty for illegal immigration.

I’m a hardliner on illegal immigration but damn, that’s just crazy. Most of those illegals are not coming here to harm us intentionally, they just ruin the economy by flooding the labor pool falsely suppressing wages and benefits.

1 Like

A designated “gun free zone” by the owners of the mall. EP is also a very blue district and largely anti gun.

2 Likes

@Robert5 were talking about that incident over here. That’s literally my home town… we live on a dirt road 45 minutes from there and shop, while not in that Walmart, in that neighborhood.

My wife and I were talking about this early today. The interesting thing is that if this was done in Kentucky, there is absolutely nothing he did that violated any laws. Body armor is legal, open carry is legal, and 100 rounds of ammo is nothing here. I have bought that much and more at Walmart here. Even leaving through an emergency exit would be reasonable with the fire alarm going off.
I hate that this happened and it was extremely inconsiderate but not illegal.
On the other hand, the firefighter who detained him could face potential criminal charges and civil action for false arrest. A citizen’s arrest here requires that a felony was committed and probable cause that the person arrested committed the felony. The only other authority for a civilian to detain a person is for a shopkeeper detaining a suspected shoplifter.

1 Like

@MikeBKY

Except scaring people in public isn’t legal… in Missouri it comes under disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, or terroristic threats (that’s what they’re charging him with)

We’re talking about the details in this other thread: Another One for the Good Guys - #13 by Zee … Reposting this because I think its relevant
‐-------------
pretty good detail on the witness reports here:
Bystander account of man with rifle arrested at Springfield Walmart

The man, 20-year-old Dmitriy N. Andreychenko, was arrested on suspicion of 1st-degree making a terrorist threat.

details on arrest and charges so far, and walmart’s position on it, here:

details on what would - and would not - be a crime under Missouri law here:

The armed firefighter who held him at gunpoint will not be getting in any legal trouble:

Police praised the firefighter’s actions amid the chaos and panic created by the armed man.

One of the democratic lawmakers said that on a news show the other day. He said it seems like these guys choose soft targets.

1 Like

They were reporting this where I live as firefighter stopped active shooter .

1 Like

Did that Democrat say anything about making those targets not so soft?

Yeah I saw one headline like that, but there was no active shooting. The guy never unholstered, and didn’t manipulate the rifle.

Fact-checker fail on that one… better to get the news out fast, even if it’s wrong :unamused:

The firefighter did as good as could be done, by all reports.

I haven’t read all the media reports, but it it seems to me that the media is propping up the fire fighter similar to law enforcement, as if they are supposed to be one of the few classes of people that are supposed to be armed. I didn’t think fire fighters carried? Was he off duty? In that case he was just an armed citizen. But that slant doesn’t really fit the media’s narrative.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks open carry is counter productive in this climate; however, a right in some states, but it’s just now a good look. We don’t need to give the anti-gunners any ammunition (no pun intended)!

1 Like

Yep, and let’s emphasize the fact that it was a civilian carrying a firearm that was able to stop and detain him for police without this idiot ever firing a shot.

1 Like

No you’re not alone, many people oppose open carry.

Personally I’ll take the very well known and measurable deterrence it offers over worrying about upsetting someone with anti gun leanings.

Where OC has become law, there’s been some short term resistance to it but it always smoothed out and people simply become accustomed to it whether they approve or not.

2 Likes

I agree with that, however, after nationally covered incidents like TX and OH, you go to know when to hold, fold, or walk away from the norms especially when everyone is on the edge. If not for the public, for their own safety,

1 Like

Unless you’re walking around with a gun in your hand you’re not going to trigger any alarm except from lunatic gun haters.

There’s great peace of mind on the part of many of the public knowing that law abiding folks are carrying because of the deterrence and the fact they know that if something does go bad at least there will likely be an immediate deadly force response.

I literally can’t count the number of times I’ve gotten a thumb’s up or verbal “thank you for carrying” from people in pubic since OC became legal.

Now, the flip side of that is that even though it’s lawful to carry a slung long gun in public in Texas that will nearly always generate alarm and even disgust from typical 2nd Amendment advocates but even that is fading.

Honestly I was extremely bothered with groups like OC Texas started their long gun carry marches and events because of all of the negative reaction but I eventually warmed up to it a bit.

I still think for the most part they are idiots showing off their toys and for the most party look like a bunch of intellectual midgets someone drug up from a trailer park but it has reduced the amount of alarm people have when for instance they see their neighbors loading up for a weekend of hunting carrying long guns to their cars, or papering for a trip to the range.

Personally I’m not going to let the very rare negative encouters people have while OC’ng or the one I’ve had with a known local felon change my behavior.

When we sacrifice our rights to the whims and emotions of others they are quickly lost. That is exactly how we ended up with about five decades where in most of the US it was illegal to carry at all and the 33 year fight we’ve had to win back our right to carry, one court case, one election at a time.

Show ourselves for what we are, a positive force in the community that can and will deal with deadly threats appropriately when they occur.

2 Likes

I agree, this is how we lose the ground we hold now. Just keep civil, and carry on.

1 Like

It’s not us that’s the problem, its crazy evil people. If we hide our colors every time an evil person acts out, people will start to think we have a reason to hide what we’re doing.

Who we are, and why we do what we do, is not altered by what evil people do. If we let their act of evil drive us into the shadows, we fail our principles.

I don’t think we need to make a point of extra OC right now, and I absolutely don’t advocate being stupid like the MO walmart nut, but if you normally OC, then just keep it polite and mannerly and carry on.

3 Likes

Has anything come out as to that idiots motivation and intent?

1 Like

@WildRose not yet

I just saw another thread where they said his intent was to pull off a 2nd Amendment Audit.

What an utter idiot.

1 Like