Lesson Learned at the Range

You are too kind dear Blacky. Good advice. So for me, I’m right handed, but I had tendency to hold a semi with my right hand, but also with my left hand wrapped around my right as a double grip, I think because I used to like how that felt on revolvers. So, in my case, when I got bit ( & cut/bled), it was by the “slide” when it emptied after the last round.

In my trying to make the conversion to semi’s, I wonder if it’s appropriate that I place my left hand “underneath” my right hand, as a double like grip. When I did that, my left hand did not get bit.

For the group;

Do you think that’s OK? Or should I hold my wrist? I’ll do more research. IDK for sure.

2 Likes

@Burdo >> IMO “ I’m not a instructor “ for a bottom grip recoil gets a little uncomfortable with target shooting. As far as I know if you’re shooting right handed part of your right fingers and knuckles should be covered by your left hand & left index finger touching the Frame pointing at the target. What ever works wit out injury. I don’t rap my left thumb around my right hand with autos but I do on a revolver. I use semi auto hand guns for target & revolver for self-defense. PS: I hope that video on the 1911 helped ( a least for a 1911 ) as far as wrist
Hold = always to ( me ) is very fast consistent posture for target acquisition and block out less target picture.
Stay good…
:us::us::us:

3 Likes

@Burdo — a lot of people love their Glocks for sure. I’m more of a metal DA/SA kinda guy, so I drift more towards CZ’s. But I’m glad you found something that works.

On grip, USCCA just came out with a pretty good video on exactly that subject:

Kevin M. explains not only what a good grip looks like, but why it works. There’s a ton of similar videos out on YouTube, but most tend to describe some variation of the grip that Michael explains.

Stay safe!

4 Likes

Thanks. I will check on other vids as well. Luv Kev, I’m a Kev-Head and have a man crush on him. Is it wrong? Que the slow music. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

However, in his vid, the camera tended to focus on his right side, so it was not easy to see the exact placement of his left hand, and there was no live fire.

I learned against tea cupping it, which I think is good for me, but after being bit, I noticed how he extends his left index finer out along side of the gun’s “slide”. My survival instincts prohibit me, so I tend to wrap my left index finger around my right hand; Whereas I wonder if other shooters instead use that left index finger to support and touch the gun (not my habit, maybe from using shorter guns, not wanting to blast or burn my finger).

Still, good learning. Peace.

2 Likes

Go with your survival instincts. Notice when Kevin gripped with his right hand and pointed out the “meaty” part is on the back strap? He left a lot of the left grip exposed. Put the “meaty” part of your left hand onto that exposed left grip surface and wrap your four left fingers over your right hand fingers. You will end up with the left index finger over the top of the right hand “middle” finger and both thumbs pointed forward on the left side. Keep your thumbs off the slide.

4 Likes

Thanks Gary, yes, that’s what I was noticing as well, when I tried it. Good stuff, all around to practice.

2 Likes