Lend a pistol to a friend?

Depends on your definition of friend I guess. I have friends that are more like family and wouldn’t hesitate to lend to. I also have friends that I have known for ages and genuinely care about that are idiots despite how I feel about them, that I wouldn’t loan to. Same goes for family I guess. It would have to be on a case by case basis.

4 Likes

In my opinion, this is exactly the quintessential situation where one should not loan a gun to a friend. With almost 100% certainty, this ‘friend’ had plenty of prior opportunity to buy one for themselves, and now want to drag you into their mismanaged lives…no thank you.

5 Likes

Wow! It would depend on the “friend” and the circumstances. Most of my friends already possess one or more firearms so the reason for the “need” would have to be considered. The loan should not be completed without documentation and consideration for laws.

The steps to legally process a transfer of firearm to another individual in Illinois are outlined at the Illinois State Police website. The transferor (seller) simply inputs the purchaser’s FOID number and date of birth into the ISP website. The page is located at: https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Firearms/FOID/PersonToPersonFirearmTransfer.aspx

Simply enter the appropriate information and allow the search to reveal whether you can legally complete the transfer. If the inquiry states the transfer is permitted fill in the form and retain for 10 years. A copy of the form should be kept by both parties.

He may be a friend but CYA

4 Likes

This :point_up_2:t4:

6 Likes

I can agree with @John301’s sentiment to a point. But there are lots of people (probably the majority) who just are not mentally wired to take on the responsibility for defending themselves or others. At least until they are directly threatened. Then even some of the most meek and timid people can surprise you when cornered or needing to defend their loved ones.

Most of the people here have the guard dog gene. But probably 80% or so of people in the world don’t for the most part. That doesn’t make them bad or weak people. Instead of spending lots of time and money worrying about threats that have very low chances of occurring they can put all their energy into being productive at work or as family care givers, etc. That’s their wiring and many of them just aren’t going to be very good at situational awareness and self defense no matter how much training and equipment you give them. That might change for some of them when presented with a direct threat that forces them to have to go outside their skills and regular instincts. But for the most part they rely on the guard dogs to keep them safe so they can best utilize their skills. The strength of the community/tribe comes from people working together and utilizing their specific skills to the benefit of all.

I know I’m speaking in black and whites when everything and everyone is a shade of grey. So yes everyone should pick up as much self defense skills as they are comfortable with just as the guard dogs shouldn’t let themselves get so caught up in looking for threats that they let the rest of their lives fall apart. But I don’t think we should leave everyone who doesn’t arm themselves to the wolves.

5 Likes

“Lend a pistol to a friend?”

Nope.

Neither a lender nor a borrower be.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

While I often take friends shooting and will allow them to shoot my weapons, nobody leaves with one. If I had a good friend that was in danger, I would gladly bring them to my house for protection. But to give someone a weapon, when I don’t know that they are properly trained to use a deadly weapon, not going to happen.

7 Likes

I figure I have 3 people I truly see as friends, and they’re a family of hubby, wife and son. They’re not the type of folks that are comfortable around firearms, although some of that is likely due to their son being special needs, and likely seeing guns in RL just like the guns in cartoons. Lots of acquaintances though, and it’s a hard pass for them.
So, if they were over and criminals attacked, I think I would have them on reload/pass the shotgun instead of shooting as that would be far safer.
Thus, no.

6 Likes

With a wife and son at home I would not want to put them in danger by potentially bringing a friends problems home with me.

7 Likes

Maybe if we were in the middle of a firefight and his weapon got disabled, I’d loan him my backup weapon. Other than that, this is my rifle/pistol there are many like it, but this one is mine!

8 Likes

HE IS MY FRIEND?i
Personally.(sigh) I have my [?#] family &10 friend and then there everyone else.
one core belief of mine is :{That my friends. are closer than family.}/
here why. they have had most time to influence on how i reflect and grow. in response too public’s image of one acceptance inn one’s morals beliefs for right and wrong to be pass on the next generation/offsprings.
p.s. everyone has there circle,pack,group,troop,club,ect and if you dont then i am going on a assumption your a spy.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Edgar5 and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

I have one friend I’d lend a pistol to. He’s my neighbor and him and I go shooting together a lot. His wife just got into shooting and they wanted to try some of mine at the range. Sure, here ya go. But this is about the only person I trust implicitly enough to do this with. Other friends I go shooting with, not so much, but this guy is alright.

5 Likes

I’m assuming we aren’t talking about “hey lets go to the range, you can shoot my firearm while we’re there”.

I don’t have any “friends” who would want a firearm that don’t have already have firearms or the means to get one. If they already have one, no need for me to loan them any. If they don’t have one and have the means to get one but didn’t get one… well my sympathy is pretty low there as that’s a choice they made. I do have some anti-gun “friends” and if they wanted a loaner they can go kick rocks.

The only route that ups my sympathy meter is @Gary_H 's example. But in that case I’d rather the person hide out at my house or another safe location for a few days until they can arm themselves. In the meantime, give them some tips/tricks and practice with dryfire or range time. Its the give a fish/teach to fish scenario.

If we’re talking end of the world scenario (civil war, zombies, aliens, etc), the answer is pretty well the same. Giving a firearm in a TEOTWAWKI scenario to someone without firearms experience is just asking to waste ammo. And I don’t have enough ammo to waste :rofl:

7 Likes

This :point_up_2:t4: was an eye-opener for me when the CCW instructor mentioned it.
Vertically, my parents and children.
Horizontally, my wife and my siblings, expanded to include cousins who raised me, and real friends — there are only three of them.
Other relatives? Those who call me friend? Hmmm…

3 Likes

All my friends have their own guns.

7 Likes

I can only be responsible for me and my actions, if you want to be responsible for a friend’s action with your weapon, go ahead, my answer is no. I taught my wife how to use her weapon and I am not responsible her usage. It took me 14 years to talk her into purchasing her own weapon and now she’s very good at it and love to practice regularly.

5 Likes

If they are anyone that I call a friend, they are already well prepared

6 Likes

What is your backup weapon, a rock, stick…

3 Likes

Amen @DonJMac !

Stay safe out there.

4 Likes