Lend a pistol to a friend?

Under what circumstances would you lend a pistol to a friend (not a relative)?

My answer: MAYBE in the midst of a riot.

9 Likes

Only if he/she is within my dwelling and situation requires using the firearm.

Hopefully that person is not convicted felon :zipper_mouth_face:

7 Likes

The only time I would loan a pistol to a friend is if they were going hunting and they needed some protection in the woods. But then all of my friends have plenty of “equipment” of their own.

7 Likes

Just have a few friends, and they’re gun owners. In a eotwawki scenario, I’d supply a few neighbors, but only after society collapses
so, thinking November :smirk:

14 Likes

All my friends and family members are already armed and trained.

8 Likes

That may be a little overly optimistic😉

I occasionally “loan” a firearm to a friend if we are at the range and they want to give something new a try. If the SHTF I expect a bunch of my wife’s relatives to show up at our door. Not sure if I would loan them a firearm or point one at them and tell them to take their unprepared butts somewhere else :wink: :confounded:

17 Likes

I just don’t think I could do it. My thinking is, there must be a reason why they don’t already have one. I’d be afraid of handing a firearm over to someone that either doesn’t know how to handle it or can’t buy one of their own for some reason. Either way it seems like a recipe for disaster.

17 Likes

I might if civilization collapsed completely; even then, no one I know would need to borrow one. Plus, that would probably be the only currency of value haha. Otherwise, in the remote chance I had to lend one
still not going to, except in the case it’s my own offspring or if it’s only for a few minutes at the range. I have let friends fire my pistol at the range under my direct observation. If someone wants to ‘borrow’ one otherwise, no. I won’t take responsibility to arm you, that’s on you.

8 Likes

I don’t think I have a friend who’s not to be trusted with a gun.
But, as already mentioned, only under extreme circumstances will they be able to borrow mine, or when we’re at the gun range.

6 Likes

When SHTF, imagine people, your wife’s relatives even, who vote for big government to protect them, showing up and turn to you for help, tug at your heart, and then curse you when you turn them away because you didn’t give them any freebies :man_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes

I have always had the mindset that you never loan out anything that your not willing to lose. Want to borrow $20.00? I will expect it back but, I would not be surprised not to get it back. Same, if not more so with a pistol!

8 Likes

The only reason I would lend a pistol to a friend is at the range during training. Your firearm is sacred and if you happen to lend it to the wrong friend who uses it in a robbery its on you. The reason we have safes is so that unauthorized persons, our friends, can’t get to them. So IMHO I wouldn’t lend a firearm to a friend.

10 Likes

Lend a pistol to a friend? No thank you, guess it’s good I do not have any of those. Lol

8 Likes

What about a friend with a restraining order to protect her/him from a former husband, boyfriend, stalker, etc. and need protection during a 3 to 7 day waiting period to purchase their own?

5 Likes

Lol :rofl: I’m with you!

2 Likes

@Gary_H good point. What if the person who is needing the protection has a good friend who is a concealed carry permit holder and is willing to stay with them for at least a few days, that may help a bit.

7 Likes

Test: I’m being censored. Can’t post a new topic. USCCA’s moderator’s actions will force me to terminate my coverage through them. Guess it might be time to say “Hood Bye”

1 Like

That’s the path I would choose @Johnnyq60

2 Likes

Hey @KillJoy, if it is in the miscellaneous category, then it’s not a personal reflection on you. I ran into this recently myself, new topics in that category are reviewed no matter who you are.

5 Likes

Fortunately I live in a State without any waiting periods. I would march my friend to a gun store and make sure they get something suitable then hook them up with a qualified trainer ASAP.

If I lived in a place that had a waiting period I would recommend for the person to go somewhere they won’t be found at least until they get their firearm and training. Or maybe stay at their place with them till they do. It would be risky to loan them a firearm. If they accidentally harm the wrong person it could come back on you.

If none of those options work I might sell them one and get a receipt of the sale. But most States with waiting periods may not allow person to person sales.

4 Likes