Legitimate wait time for pistols in 2020

Evening all. My wife and I purchased our first handguns in March of this year from a respectable shop here in southern California. The CZ came in ~2 months time, around the same time my 9mm ammo arrived as well… not bad considering. I’m now approaching 6 months for the Sig Sauer P226, and I have to ask, with all things considered, does this seem excessive? I’m really curious if others are seeing the same delays, or longer, and how long you’ve waited for your new pistol.

1 Like

I had to wait 10 days for mine but, I am in Washington State. I also have a CWP.

1 Like

I believe that some of the delays are due to the situation the world is in, this pandemic, COVID-19. All you can do is try to have patience and I know it is difficult.

Glocks and Sigs seem to be particularly difficult to find these days. Although I did manage to find a 226 Legion the other day at a local dealer.

2 Likes

The range where I teach/work on the side is hearing from some manufacturers that we won’t be getting new stock until 2021. They’re that far behind and aren’t able to ramp up their production.

2 Likes

Wow! I didn’t know they were that far behind the 8 ball.

1 Like

Its hard to know how long one should have to wait. Sig is undergoing some changes with their business in Europe, so there might be some disruption due to that. Second, when these shortages hit, it does not make sense for manufacturers to ramp up production for the temporary blips in demand, basically every 4 years to varying degrees. Why not ramp up production? Because the demand will return to normal in a couple months and to have invested in the people and equipment only to mothball it is not good business. So, they run as much as they can with the people and equipment they have at the moment. Also, one must consider the production schedule. Most (I dont dare say all) manufacturers dont have dedicated lines for each model, so one has to take into account the production schedule that will be prioritized for the highest-demand, highest-margin items. Then one needs to consider the distributor. Rarely do manufacturers sell directly to all the little gun shops around the country. They focus on production, sell to a couple large volume sellers and distributors, and let the distributor deal with all the thousands of shops across the country. So, even when the distributor has stock, one needs to take into account how the distributor ships. Some ship based on order, but most also work to keep their higher volume customers happy first. So, a 2021 timeline does not seem unreasonable. I once waited over a year for a revolver that I ordered through a local gun shop simply because it was a low volume item in an oddball caliber. So, it might not seem right, and it is hard to be patient, but that is business. And we need to keep in mind that these companies being successful in business is what allows the to stay in business and keep providing guns for us to buy.

Probably not what you wanted to hear @Robert452. My suggestion is this. Check out the internet sites like gunbroker (not the only one) to see if you can find your Sig there. If you can, order it there and cancel your order with your local shop and have them just do the transfer. That is probably your best option for a quicker delivery time.

3 Likes

I’ve bought my last one online before Labor Weekend.
Still “Order status:Awaiting Fulfillment
I spoke with the store and they had a delay up to 10 days with preparing and shipping.
That is what I can understand. Anything longer than 2 weeks is suspicious to me.

1 Like

Sig is actively working to hire more machinists and CNC operators (see their webpage sigsauer.com). So I think they are working to ramp up production.

2 Likes

Sig might be ramping up production, but they are also shutting down their European production so this move might be more related to consolidating production in the US.

2 Likes

Quite possible. I guess I’m just an eternal optimist. More guns for us. (Or more aptly, U.S. :wink:)

3 Likes

Hi Brian,

As I mentioned in my previous post, I actually found the Sig 226 I was looking for at local dealer. So, I’m set for the present time. I believe it is Thomas210 that is still looking for a 226. As far as the production issues in general are concerned. it is what it is. I’m sure they’re doing the best they can with what they’ve got. It just sounds like they’ve really gotten hammered.

Rob

1 Like

Yup, my mistake, I meant that comment for @Thomas210 and his P226. Thanks

1 Like

:+1::+1: Lot of Thomas’s here brother.

Just wanted to update all on the wait time here in CA for my Sig Sauer P226…

• Ordered Mid-March 2020
  • Just arrived November 24th. The 10-day waiting period begins…

How this year has changed in the 8 months since it was first ordered!

2 Likes

What flavor of 226?

1 Like

I decided to get myself and my son the P365XL about a month ago and thought I’d never get them but ended up getting lucky on Cabela’s website after about a week for 1. It took 5 days to make it’s way to my local store and then 36 hours on the background check before I could pick it up.

Then I walked into Murdochs the other day to check on ammo and they had a couple of P365XLs that weren’t spoken for so waited 24 hours for the background check. I was shocked it only took that long, I was 4000 and something in line when they hit send. On the other hand, I started also looking for the P220 10mm DA/SA and it is no where in stock on line or local.

1 Like

Ordered a Glock 41 on 8/24/20. Still waiting…

Best to watch the websites and grab anything you like right away.

1 Like

Robert452, - The all black Nitron, CA edition of course

1 Like

Nice. Except for the CA part. :grin:

1 Like