Legality of warning shots

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/should-i-shoot-a-warning-shot/

3 Likes

Everyone - please take a step back for a moment. I’m pretty sure you’re all saying warning shots are a bad idea and illegal in a lot of states.

The Ask an Attorney video has been posted numerous times so I’ve removed a couple of the extra posts of it from this thread.

There is no need for personally attacking someone - if you don’t know why they’re saying what they’re saying, ask. Do not assume they haven’t had the training or don’t know what they’re talking about.

We’re in text here and don’t know each other in “real life” so a missed word or poor word choice – or misreading what someone has typed – can lead to issues. I know I’ve missed a word/mistyped/forgot part of a response and been asked about it and given the chance to fix it, which I’ve greatly appreciated :smiley:

Remember our goal is the same, we want to best defend ourselves and our loved ones.

10 Likes

Two problems, at least, with that.

One, if it was a private message, he should have kept it private and not gone to the public forum and left it open to interpretation as to what and who he was speaking about and to.

Two, if someone else wants to do as they want, that is their choice.

Three
 just for GP (General Purposes)
 .I and others have asked for clarification, and his responses have either been non-existent or as vague if not more so than his original input.

I think Robert434 hit the nail on the head though.

4 Likes

True, which is why several attempts asking for clarification have been made, by more than one individual, and yet

nothing in the way of clarification has actually been forthcoming. Text is sometimes difficult to ascertain the context and meaning, and where we might have inflection in a verbalized conversation, the opportunity to clarify is an opportunity that should be exercised and taken.

As you said
 we have asked
 we have not seen or heard any clarification.

So, again
 @William_H, we all, or at least most all as I might have missed a comment or two, have stated NO warning shots, so, why do you keep commenting about someone advocating for warning shots and making it sound as if most of us are.

@Dawn, we all try to pass on good information and seek to clarify and learn, but 
 if someone refuses to help clarify, they make claims against people (it might be one, but his replying aim is not always accurate), it is difficult to resolve any issues and hopefully meet at the point where we are, if not all in agreement, at least on the same page, or perhaps the same chapter.

2 Likes

Kevin it’s literally in one of his posts higher up. I feel it’s like telling someone to, “disavow racism” (current political example) over and over again after the fact
it’s just going to get offensive to that person to basically be insulted.

2 Likes

I have not questioned anyone’s ability or doubted their training. I have no desire to mistreat or blame someone here and I feel your blaming me for giving the facts that are written to us and all our education that have gotten us these far. I am not the blame here and I except my correction and your opinions, but I am not at fault here.

I will keep that condemning email I got and I have never been disrespectful to you or anyone. You have chosen the wrong party.

thank you !

1 Like

Thank you and appreciate all your help for information. I would love to read it. Again, thank you.

1 Like

Yet, much earlier, he responded to me and claimed I said to use warning shots, and he excoriated me demanding I refer to my training as he has been trained. That was BEFORE any email, it was well up the line of discussion.
Everyone was basically saying no to warning shots, and he jumped in saying we should refer to the training 

If he was insulted, he should try to clarify, as I have no idea who insulted him or what was the insult.

Was his first reply to me
 and I never said it was acceptable to fire a warning shot
 and I did ask him where he thought I said it, and he did not respond.

Was his second response to the same post.

So, was it an email? Did he confuse me with someone else? When asked to clarify, it would be helpful if there was a response that clarified.

As it is, most have responded to him saying NO warning shots, and he still gripes.

And this was the last post, where again I have asked for clarification.

@William_H and @Dawn, Not sure what blame I am laying at his feet, other than the fact he has made vague statements, suggesting I and others have advocated for warning shots
 not sure what “FACTS” he claims to be giving.

Perhaps the written form of English is not well known
 however

At this point, I find it a waste of time and he has nothing of value to offer and the headache is not a value.

Have a great day.

3 Likes

Asking for clarification is a great thing! And sometimes people won’t clarify (not a great thing) and we have to just move on.

5 Likes

True, and that is what has been done.

It was clear there would be no clarification, nothing of value, and no need for further discussion or attempts at discussion.

Have a great day.

5 Likes

For the record William, you may have gotten a notification in your email of my post? But not an email. But regardless, I have not sent anyone a private message through this platform regarding this topic.

4 Likes

You mean wasting ammo? I was taught make every shot count.

3 Likes

An aside
 Do you know the funny story behind that scene? Supposedly, there was a big choreographed sword fight that had gone several takes, and still wasn’t right. Harrison Ford was suffering from dysentery, exhausted and fed up, so with a “to hell with this,” he pointed his revolver and said BANG! Spielberg loved it so much it replaced the original.

3 Likes

Perhaps i am ill-informed but it is my belief (understanding) that it is illegal to brandish your weapon in any threatening manner unless you are prepared and intend to use justifiable “lethal force”. Using it to intimidate someone by drawing it from your holster or waving at a motorist during a “road rage” incident would be illegal. Firing WARNING SHOTS in public will most likely land you in jail. Using WARNING SHOTS in a home invasion type situation would be a personal decision. I would not want to kill someone for petty theft in my home unless I was reasonably certain the perpetrator presented a lethal threat to me or my family. My comments are what I believe to be the law mixed with my personal opinion. I would appreciate any constructive and/or factual feedback. I have a question
 I carry concealed. If some bad looking dude(s) look threatening to my in parking lot type scenario is it legal for me to put my hand under my concealment as long as I don’t “SHOW” my weapon? Hope these comments and questions are helpful. To all my friends
 keep your head down and your powder dry. Stay safe!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Richard635 .

This personal decision may also put you in jail.

Yes, you can do any “preparation” movements without showing concealed firearm. Good practice is to turn your body a little to hide your hand reaching for the gun.

2 Likes

We are taught not to fire you weapon unless it is the last resort.

2 Likes

Respectfully, our Commander in Chief disagrees:

1 Like

I believe these laws differ among states. I’d look up the actual state statues.

1 Like

If there is a shot from my firearm, it’s not a warning. If the situation is bad enough for me to unholster, I’m preparing to defend, or am actively defending myself. The warning, if there is time, is verbal.

3 Likes

With practice, my first shot will hit center of mass. Now all his friends have been warned.

2 Likes