Legal Term: Reasonable Person Test

Great post, and food for thought. Will take it seriously.

I recently participated in mandatory training regarding “extremist organizations”, and during that training, I brought up the concept of a “reasonable person” concept. Immediately someone says “well what is a reasonable person” and who determines that. Obviously, the comment came from someone who wishes that the societal lines nature draws, called accepted norms, were never identified or concluded by “normal” people. Apparently, the flat management people in the world would like everyone to draw their own unnatural lines.
Rather than labor the point and argue, I posed the questions pragmatically. 1. Is it in the public’s best interest that we abide by the laws that are written for us to follow? 2. Is it in the public’s best interest that we not only strive as individuals, but that we strive to better our society by being the best moral, and ethical examples we can be both in public and private? My intent in that particular training was to belay or curb the appeal of rampant standardless opinion. We live in a free country and have the liberty to be who we want to be, for now anyway. I believe in setting a good example, and hope that those who do not understand may find myself as that good example to follow.

1 Like

So what is “reasonable” for one person may not be “reasonable” to another. I am 65. Not in bad physical shape or do I lack in self defense abilities. With that said, reasonable to me would be unreasonable to a 30 year old in great shape and quicker reflexes. Who decides? This is an ignorant guideline. Too many variables.

2 Likes

What is important is the people on the jury could be Reasonable People in most things. The question is do they believe in 2A? Do they believe we have the right to protect ourselves? Would they use force to protect themselves or would they stand there and hope that someone will protect them? The people on the jury need to think like we do or we will be toast.

1 Like

You are so right. I have always been very athletic and quick on my feet. I had taught men in the military the art of what then was called dirty fighting before they went to Vietnam. I was good at self-defense. My back ground with weapons is extensive. I have taught weapons in the school at Lackland Air Force Base, I participated in many NRA matches, world wide rifle and pistol matches, while in Europe I won 2nd place entire Europe with every small arms weapon the military used at that time. My wife and I was the Texas Champion Quick Draw Artist and I taught the Texas Concealed Hand Gun course for about 10 years. But now I am 84 years old and bout a year ago I almost died and still have not regained my balance. I have to watch every step I take on rough ground, going up or down a curb on the street,etc. So Disparity if very important to me, and being a ware of my surrounding are important. Like one post I read the other day. Do not go into areas with your weapon that your would not go into without it. If a person does then they are looking for a reason to use their weapon. You cannot choose the time or place that you will become a victim. None of use wants to shoot someone just to be shooting them. However in my condition and maybe in your condition two 18 year old boys without weapons could kill me pretty quickly. It may be impossible for people in our condition to escape. In this situation would you shoot. A lot of people would say “He shoot two teenage boys” You do not want these people on your jury. So I am so long winded this morning.

here in central NE, yes.

IMHO no jury member should ever be selected if they do not support the Constitution of the United States of America.

4 Likes

I live in crook county too close to the peoples Republic of Chicago. From which they will probably pull a jury. So I’d be screwed. This is just another attempt of the liberal left to murky the waters of fact and truth with opinion

1 Like

Not to mention that you have more complicated local statutes to contend with. If you wander into Chicago you better not have a laser aiming device in your possession!

2 Likes

Only carry 10 round mags too. Just more of them!

1 Like

Just tell them you want a change of venue, and ask to move the trial to Franklin county. We’ll have you not guilty by lunch time.

4 Likes