LA Times posts poll results - do you agree?

As others have said, my problem is with the mandatory. The only right you have to register to exercise is to vote. And the person has to register once. The right is often taken away from felons. And you get a voters registration card when you register.
Maybe our voter registration should be our CCL. Throw in an NICS check when you register to vote and it’s all good.
But with all the collusion and voter fraud, we would have dead people killing other people.

11 Likes

And that’s how the zombie apocalypse begins.

7 Likes

The only way any of these “good ideas” can be enforced is if there is a national gun registry.

1 Like

People should be required to show proficiency before they buy anything that can cause death… who ever voted NO is irresponsible and only thinking about themselves. Just like before we can drive a car, we have to show proficiency at driving when we go to get a permit or license. I’m fine with rules and some regulations. When it’s time to renew, we should be re evaluated, anything can change in 6-7 years

1 Like

Part of being an American is being responsible. We have the right to protect ourselves which is protected by the 2nd Amendment. Letting the state or federal government dictate our rights is giving up our rights. A free country is not safe and a safe country is not free. It is up to us as individuals to do what is right and be vigilant in all we do. Learn your weapons and train with them frequently. Hopefully more states will recognize constitutional carry. Oklahoma’s goes into effect November 1st. Having USCCA on your side is smart. Today’s society will look for a scapegoat to further their agenda if you are forced to defend yourself. Thank you USCCA for what you do.

11 Likes

One should become proficient and safety is absolutely mandatory.
But, anything the government controls soon becomes an unrestrained behemoth. Imagine dealing with the DMV, Social Security, the VA but the focus is firearms.

8 Likes

On boy - the DMV for firearms… YIKES!

Glad to have you here, @Olin1!

5 Likes

So mandatory proficiency tests before buying vehicles/ATVs/boats? Power tools? Kitchen knives?

It’s the responsible thing to do after all.

5 Likes

Please don’t act DUMB! For the benefit of an argument you as anyone here with the same comments know EXACTLY what I mean, if you are educated and proficient in something you will less likely harm yourself or others with what ever you just described up there. I’m pro 2A but let’s face it any major idiot can get one.

End of discussion there will be no back and forth, thank you

It doesn’t work that way. You’re not pro-2A, you’re pro-government sponsored regulations. But hey I can tell from your “I’m right, you’re wrong” opinion that further conversation isn’t going to help you understand any other opinions. This reply is just to say “I see you Mr Fudd, and I know where you stand.”

12 Likes

IL is a Five year license for Concealed Carry and IL FOID is 10 years and you need both current. Renewals have started already because we were 50/50 because of our deeply corrupted state since the law went into effect 1/1/2014. Each person who is a licensee has passed a test as well as 16 hours of training. Unless of course you are a veteran such as myself then you can avoid the first day and only attend the second day of the school which is IL laws and regulations and a live fire qualification which you must pass. As far as IL FOID you have to fill out the proper forms and pass your background checks. As far as background checks IL goes we Citizens of IL undergo 720 Background checks each year. 360 for IL FOID and 360 for IL Concealed Carry. We are backgrounded each day of the year minus major holidays so there’s the 720 background checks. When the license renewal comes in you also have to pass another test in laws that are new and some that are no longer applicable. Plus everyone needs to pass the live fire portion of the renewal class. Everyone in IL is aware of changes in the law when/if they happen. You need to produce both licenses for the purchase of all firearms and there’s a 72 hour cooling off period for firearms.

Exactly correct Spence

3 Likes

Minor correction needed here. I live in Illinois and you only need a FOID card to purchase firearms and ammunition. You are not required to produce both FOID and CCL. In some cases all you need is your CCL because the numbers are the same and you need a FOID to get a CCL.

You are correct, I haven’t bought any for a very long time now. All of my licenses are in the same individual wallet. I have enough ammunition for a lifetime now. It’s that the licenses are looked at by store clerks so much I guess but you are correct on that. I was incorrect. And yes both my IL licenses carry the same ID number. I also have a FL license for when Winter gets to cold in Chicago.

I do agree with required training, but not by the government. All who decides to purchase and carry a gun or rifle should know how to handle it properly; have more training than just that one day course. I am a veteran and wish that all would have the same type of training in handling guns, but I know that would be an expensive task. However taking guns away or limiting the mags will not solve the mass shooting issue. Extensive training would be a start, but more would be needed to help prevent mass shootings…

2 Likes

Nothing in this survey would do anything whatever to stop the criminal and daily use of firearms to ravage our inner cities! No Gun Zones are also a joke, as they become Free Fire zones for the crazed or criminal elements.

Our 2nd Amendment is there for two principal reasons. First is to prevent Government tyranny. Second is the right to self defense and defense of innocents from the violent predators in society.

4 Likes

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…

Richard Henry Lee, Additional Letters From The Federal Farmer, 53 (1788)

I believe he was talking about parents teaching their kids, not mandatory federal training. But of course, if parents taught their kids Western Civilization, the Constitution, and the Bible, we wouldn’t need this message board.

2 Likes

I think polls reflect what the poll taker wants it to reflect
Firearm training is always good but government mandates are not

6 Likes

That is exactly what we need more of. Constitutional Carry States recognize that carrying a firearm for protection is a constitutional right. I would argue that if more people carried and gun free zones didn’t exists then less mass shootings would occur as “easy targets” wouldn’t exist.

4 Likes

I answered NO, and I was not being selfish. Like @Spence, the idea of GOVERNMENT mandated and MANDATORY, opens the door to creeping restrictions. How much will this mandatory training cost? What if the cost continues to increase until nobody can afford it? What if the duration, complexity, and cost all increase significantly? Am I suspicious? Damn right.

7 Likes