Kind of an interesting take of Gun Violence

2 Likes

I’m sure that their intention is good, but talk about a one-sided article!

2 Likes

We needed a combination of vaccines, tests, ventilation, and masking during surges to reduce the toll of COVID-19. Reducing firearm injuries and deaths, demands similarly broad action.

So… you kinda see this and know this is going to be an article low on intellectual content, and a waste of time to read. But, I did finish it, and was surprised by 2 points

1. He wants existing laws enforced. What??? Like, put 'em in prison and keep 'em in prison???
  2. He didnt mention Trump as culprit.
4 Likes

If they’d focus on carving out the garbage to minimal related laws, people could follow them.

3 Likes
  1. Enforce existing guns laws.
  2. Remove liberal DAs from office.
  3. Support the police, including training and accountability.
  4. Enforce existing drug and gang laws.
  5. Stop illegal immigration.
4 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree.

3 Likes

Well, we ARE coming up on a major election. They’re gonna have to feed people a lot of BS to try and stay relevant.

4 Likes

Yes, and my fear, they will try to CREATE bs to stay relevant, on the scale of nuclear conflict, or false nuclear conflict. So lawless and callous, quite capable of it.

3 Likes

I have probably said this before, but, I don’t fully like this sentiment.

That would mean the father who gives his daughter a gun for Christmas, to use for home defense as she lives alone now, both of them completely legal to possess or even purchase that firearm, just made them felons. Should they be in prison being [expletive omitted] for this?

(it just so happens the father and daughter live in different states and the transfer of that handgun didn’t go through any FFL so they are now felons, even though father legally owned it and daughter could have walked into LGS and legally bought the same thing)

And that is but one example.

Believe me, I get it, passing more laws after we already have way too many logically calls for “let’s start with enforcing what we actually have”. And enforcing what we have is in fact better than passing more.

But really, getting ride of some of the current ones is what we really need.

Enforce the violent crimes more, I say. Not the “gun crimes” or gun laws, as most of those that are broken, I will wager, are broken by “law abiding” citizens who honestly don’t know they are committing a felony

2 Likes

When someone begins by sharing they are a current gun owner, I do give them a listen.

Amazed by the crimes occurred by firearms per day, and the number of mass shootings.

But how long has this been going on for in our country? I’d like to look at the last two years, compared to the last 25.

1 Like

How long has what been going on? What definition of “Mass shootings” are you using when you ask that question?

2 Likes

I understand your point. There are bad dudes who take guns by truckload across state lines and sell them to worse dudes. They need to be thrown behind bars and stay there. Should the particular law be abolished because of the example you cited? No. Are the violations in yours and mine example equal? Common sense says they are not, but in reality, it is up to the judge. A hoplophobe will probably punish both violations the same. We wont have simple solutions for the violent crime problems, thats all.

I forgot which author called communists “terrible simplifiers”.

2 Likes

So you’re telling me that the “bad dudes” who take truckloads of guns across state lines and sell them to “worse dudes” are breaking no other laws?

The only way these “bad dudes” and “worse dudes” could be charged with a crime, is because they didn’t go through an FFL while transferring interstate?

So the parties involved were all lawfully able to possess firearms?

Well then this is simple, that should be 100% legal and it does not validate the existence of any laws.

2 Likes

Dunno, I am not a lawyer! Libertarians say, if they want to put a new law on the books, they should strike one off the books.

1 Like

It’s your hypothetical scenario. In this scenario you are using to support gun control laws, was the particular gun control law you support the only law being broken?

If so, then what is your justification for supporting that law?

If not, what other laws are being broken? It’s your hypothetical, you get to decide. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Take it easy, I am not a legal scholar! Should the law punish only the actual crime, but not obtaining tools of the crime, and aiding/abetting the crime? It should be all of the above, but there should be exceptions not to entrap people with honest intentions.

1 Like

What crime are you referring to? What crime needs to be punished?

Why do you believe it should be a crime, let alone a federal felony, for a father to give his daughter a gun, (or literally any other two people), solely because they happen to reside in different states?

You said there are bad dudes giving “truckloads of guns” to worse dudes in other states…so that we are on the same page in this…would you mind sharing linking/examples of this? Just so that I know what kind of thing you are referring to.

1 Like

Whoa, I will let you go first. What are other circumstances of this transaction? Any reason for them not to be able to go through legal FFL channels? Are they not aware of the legalities, or NICS wont pass the transaction?

1 Like

I gave the full circumstances when I brought this up.

It’s not about whether or not they are “able to” go through the process of registering the transaction and paying a fee and asking for government permission first (lest they be felons, simply for living in different states), it’s about that being an infringement on the Right to the keep and bear arms, and it is about them being federal felons when they should not be criminals at all, and it is but one example of a gun control law we do not need and should not have.

Why do you want to make a whole hell of a lot of Americans felons simply because they don’t jump through the gun control hoops and pay their fees and register their transactions and get prior permission before gasp transferring across state lines gasp

Are you okay with intrastate transfers not federally requiring an FFL or do you believe the federal government should “close the gun show loophole” as they call it and make all of those illegal without an FFL the same way they have interstate transfers?

1 Like

Here is a reminder of my post that caused you to speak up in support of this gun control law, with the full circumstances you speak of

1 Like