Kid in park pointing BB gun in a park

So I woke up and here is what happpened in my town.

What would you do? I believe pepper spray is not really a match for a BB gun, and I would argue that a BB gun that hits my 1 year old or 2 year old would mean deadly force to them, so maybe I would pull my gun out, but if the child is 8-10 years old the publicity would not be good if I had to shoot.

Discuss.

Pull out your phone instead of the pepper spray. Next time you go to the park arrange for some other adults to be there also in order to observe from a distance what is happening and call the police at the first signs of trouble. DO NOT attempt to engage the parents. I would also recommend making a police report as soon as possible so there is something official on record.

6 Likes

Take it away and whack him on the backside till it breaks. :laughing:

3 Likes

If I see someone pointing a “gun” at a playground, I’m treating it like an active shooter situation. But if I realize it’s some idiot kid with a BB gun, I’m probably going to take it away from him and break it in half, then dare him to call his mom.

3 Likes

I would take pictures and make “warning” posters to distribute to park-goers.

3 Likes

So recall the name Tamir Rice. Get the heck away from that park as far as you can.

2 Likes

IMO * the parents are probably worst than their kids. Make a formal complaint to the PD. Call 911. WAIT for the fuzz and they have to give you a report number. If you want to keep going to that park make some noise about it, your paying for it with your tax dollars. A BB gun can cause permanent damage or death at close range. My nephew got hit in the head with a bb that penetrated his scull and lodged against his brain.
Never touch a child because you will be the one in deep poo poo. You could also contact DCYS, they may already have some history with those
Kids.
PS: sounds like that park is a bad place.
Good luck.

8 Likes

Yeah, well, what would a reasonable person think about an adult with a gun versus a kid with a BB gun. Jury result: you go to jail.

8 Likes

Back before I felt the need to carry everyday, the wife and I was pulling out of a par 3 golf course. I look across the street and there are 4 teens, 2 boys and 2 girls, on the porch and one was pointing a rifle at us and as we pulled out he yells BANG! I stop in the road and confront him and he says “it’s only a BB gun”. I was going to climb the porch and beat the hell out of him. Thank god my wife jumped on my back literally. I was seeing red I was so mad.

I’m so glad I didn’t carry back then as I would more than likely be in jail to this day.

4 Likes

@William191 >> funny thing is when you do have iron you become more
Tolerant because because of very serious potential outcome. With tolerance comes confidence. Easier said than done. I have a very strong instinct to fight at the drop of a hat. As I said it’s been a work in progress
My entire life to control it. For me carrying iron has kept me out of trouble more than in trouble.
Stay sharp.

9 Likes

This.

Depending on how far away they are, get the hell out and call 911 to report a shooter in the park with as much description as possible. If I think it’s a BB gun and only a BB gun, beat feet in a direction and manner that puts my body between the shooter and the child(ren), again while calling 911 to report a shooter in the park with as good a description as possible.

I’d hate for the BB gun to actually be a rifle, even a .22lr, and I delayed response because I thought it was a non-firearm gun.

Let the police figure out what gun was being used to shoot people in the park

4 Likes

Those kids will be in body bags if someone doesn’t straighten them out. either a Police officer or a citizen will slot them after they point a BB gun at either one. Maybe a trip to the coroner to show the aftermath of a shooting will put the scare in them. Minor mistakes will reap major punishments.

3 Likes

I think it is a very fine line between “it’s only a BB gun” and “I didn’t know the gun was loaded”.

8 Likes

BB guns are deadly weapons - especially these days. There are some very high-powered bb/pellet rifles that are used for hunting and could just as easily kill a person. Criminals that use bb/pellet guns in the commission of crimes are charged with the same crime as those that use firearms, due to most people would not know the difference.

I agree shooting a kid with a bb/pellet rifle would likely end your life as you know it, but depending on circumstances, might not result in as bad an outcome as one imagines here. Point being they are deadly weapons and can leave permanent injuries. The fact that the general public and these kids are this stupid is irrelevant to me. I would use any means available if someone pointed a bb/pellet gun or any other deadly weapon at me. With a kid, deadly force might not be necessary, but all situations vary. We have read about teens and younger killing people or other kids/babies.

5 Likes

At this point, reading news about middle school armed maniac, or some gang “diablito” does not surprize me anymore.

Raise your hand if you can tell a bb gun from a firearm from 10ft.

6 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up:
I will say that due to me being a CC. That my reaction to external stimuli has changed and made me more careful and cautious. Due to awareness.

4 Likes