KelTec how good?

Does any one have any experience and/or knowledge about KelTec?? Are they any good and are they reliable??

Had a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 for awhile.

Liked it but it was made of plastic composite mostly. Wal very light but seemed to feel cheap. Went Bang every time and didn’t have issues. Traded it in for a Ruger PC Carbine.

If it ever becomes available again, I’ll get another.

2 Likes

I have a Kel Tec P11. I hate it. Trigger travels to far, with a heavy pull. The magazine has to be pulled out of the well with the free hand. It doesn’t just drop. Very light gun with a heavy recoil that hurts my hand. About the only thing I like about it is size for a CCW.I’ve never had an issue with it going bang. I understand not all of these negatives are true for every Kel Tec. This is a model (P11) no longer in production. Rent the one you’re looking at and spend some time with it on the range.

1 Like

I owned a P11 for a time. This (and the scar on my left thumb from “slide bite”) are the only memories I have of the gun. It’s well-made, for its price point.

The only other information I have is anecdotal - KelTec seems to make good quality guns. They make a center-drop eject semi-auto shotgun that is on my list of future guns.

2 Likes

Slide bite seems to be a required rite of passage from New shooter to old hand. Unfortunately, I still occasionally inflict these upon myself. I use them to remind myself I still have things to learn. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Indeed.

3 Likes

I have one of the first PMR-30- 22 mag

1 Like

I have had only a few of them. Polish the feed ramp and you’re good to go. I still own a sub 2K

1 Like

I have a Kel-Tec KSG bull pup shotgun. I truly enjoy it. Had alot of work done to it, mainly to bring recoil down to a manageable amount so wife could use. It has twin receivers so you can load each receiver with your favorite round and be good to go.

I use slugs on one and 00 buck in the other. Has a switch that you can use to decide what round type you want coming out of it.

2 Likes

KelTec: A weapon that sounds like it’s about to explode on on every shot, accompanied with what could possibly be considered the worst recoil on the market. :boom: :dash:

They have had their problems, but they have some notable successes too. I understand the sub 2k is, for all it’s oddness, quite good at filling the role it’s intended too, that of a very light compact 9mm carbine that will store in places nothing else would, and be ready in a snap. My experience with the 2nd generation of PMR-30 was nothing short of amazing. I personally put several hundred rounds of 22 mag through this incredibly light gun with not a single jam, and have seen others do the same up to a thousand rounds or more. Quite some improvement over the first effort they put out. As odd as the gun is, and as unnaturally light as it is, it shoots surprisingly well, and gives surprising ballistic performance out of a pistol fired 22 mag. When I consider that I have had to return some top brand guns to the manufacturer for defects, I’d say KelTec is worth considering if they make a platform that fits your needs, and that like any manufacture of fire arm, doing the research and proofing the choice at the range is just a normal part of the process like it would be with any other.

I have to confess the PMR-30 I shot managed to impress me in spite of my considerable doubts. It’s not just light, its very light, and yet so durable, that it makes me reconsider the caliber completely in terms of a rifle / pistol combination cartridge. It’s nothing to carry it, weight wise, and since you can put lots, - and lots, of rounds on target, ( pretty accurate and reasonably powerful rounds ) it managed to change my opinion about how overall useful the cartridge could really be. Yes, it seems a little odd and a little hard to accept at first, but it may be the most fun I ever had shooting 300+ rounds in a single session. Big boom, lost of flash, strong hits - but mysteriously missing recoil, now that’s fun!

The research is important though, If I’d been shooting a first generation PMR_30, and did not know what the research had shown me, I’d have an entirely different opinion for you right now !

4 Likes

I love mine when it works, which is rarely. It misfeeds with regularity.

I want to thank everyone that has replied to my question about the weapons and it has been a big help to me. I am still undecided about them but you have helped to inform me about both the bad and good on them so I need to do some fact finding and then decide. thank you again for the replies b oth on here and by email.

1 Like

The early problem with the PMR-30 was determined to be the loading of the magazines.

2 Likes

That is partly true. They also changed the spring in the magazines which helped a lot more. Still, many misfeeds.

1 Like

I rarely had the feed problems after learning how to load the mags.

2 Likes

They definitely make some unique firearms. They really come up with some ideas.

1 Like