Just for fun, could you? Would you?

If you get shot by a 44 black powder 1858 revolver the hole it will rip through you is why people lost so many legs and arms and outside the boot store men with one left leg and men with one right leg would hook up to buy a pair of boots. Because that 1858 will blow off a limb and an infection is your last concern. I think it’s so funny that everyone that has their brand new automatics underestimate the amount of damage that the black powder revolvers do compared to the new hollow points. Not many of them have over 300 grains of powder. Shock and awe is a heart attack not an infection. That’s why I carry my twins. Quality over quantity. My backup is an m&p 9 with 17 round mags just in case you’re right. Bobby Jean

2 Likes

A Blessed day to you. I am so different that I look like I came out of the 1800’s myself. And people are indifferent to us because we are different so thank you for letting me know that I’m not alone as everyone else goes with the flow. And having people wanting selfies with you is a blessing that I just didn’t know. I thank God that we are all different. I’m sorry everyone doesn’t know what we know. God Bless you. Bobby Jean

2 Likes

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

But I also believe that at the time people were more respectful and there was a real fear of being shot by anything because if it wasn’t immediately fatal, there was a strong possibility a miserable death from infection was lurking.

3 Likes

Either one of my black powder 44s. That lead ball can really expland. If it exits it can leave a decent hole. lead poisioning can be an issue also

4 Likes

I fanned my 1851 Navy. after 3rd rnd had a smoke screen lol

2 Likes

.44 Black powder is a formidable weapon, however the reason for so many amputations was due to broken bones and possibility of infection (although doctors new the effects and not truly the cause) and lack of knowledge as to setting broken bones and grafting bone tissue. Doctors were called “sawbones” for a reason, they cut off limbs. “Blood poisoning” and “lead poisoning” were almost synonymous with sepsis and infection. Early lubed bullets were lubed with animal fat, further adding issues to traumatic injury. There was a surgeon during the civil war that broke two records. The first record was fastest above the knee amputation, which if memory serves me right was 22 seconds. The second record that surgeon broke was highest mortality rate in an operation, which was 300%. The patient died of infection, an assistant who lost a finger during the surgery died of infection as well, finally someone watching the horrific surgery had a heart attack and died. We are truly the beneficiaries of centuries of trauma medicine.

2 Likes

Um……300 grains of powder? Don’t think so. I believe (hope) you meant 30 grains. 30 under a .457 round ball or small conical hits pretty well

4 Likes

Yep 30 grains I fired a 451. It had a very min lead shaved off at cyl

1 Like

The biggest issue I see for edc is safety. That’s one thing that has improved with handguns over the years.
Plenty of accidental discharges during that era and extra care and understanding of how things work (and don’t work) would be good for anyone to know.
In some cases, the gun toters of old would have to have been more safety conscious and better educated than today in order to avoid ADs and the resultant calamity.

3 Likes

When I target practice at a friends I load my 18,58 44s to the FULLEST AND I USE 454, Lead balls and I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS :bangbang: TO CARRY FOR PROTECTION I USE MUCH LESS :bangbang: JUST LIKE MY 44,super RUGER black Hawk I have 3,20,ROUNDS TO GO HUNTING 1,80, for protection

I HAVE BEEN USING BLACK POWDER REVOLVERS OVER 40, years I DO NOT NEED ANY ADVICE ABOUT THEM :bangbang: I SHOT MY FRIST DEAR IN 19,74. With a black powder LONG GUN I GOT IT COVERED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS BOBBY JEAN

1 Like

Thats great glad to hear you do well in this area. Wasn’t really giving advice. But I do have a lot of fun with my revolvers.

2 Likes

Think you may have something there. Many causes I believe also :us:

Peace BROTHER I HAVE HAD A 36, CAL, 18,51, BLOWN UP IN MY HAND AND ALL SIX ROUNDS WENT OFF AT THE SAME TIME. MY EARS. RINGING. AND I COULD NOT FIND THE TRUCK TILL MY WIFE STARTED HONKING BECAUSE THE SMOKE WAS INTENSE. NEVER AGAIN. AMEN.

1 Like

A bought the 18,00s EVEN TO THIS DAY A KNIFE I JUST AS DANGEROUS AS ANY GUN MY FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE IS MY USMC KBAR 7”” FIGHTING KNIFES , my Firearm is my last

Yep chain fire , not a nice experience

1 Like

Yes at night and very dark and where’s the truck. Haw haw. To much fun

I READ WHAT I SAID TO YOU I AM SORRY FOR DISRESPECTFUL ANSWER Bobby Jean

2 Likes

Brother do you ever make sure that your barrel obscured. And that it’s clear :bangbang: I HAVE BEEN MAKING SURE. BECAUSE. I LET SOME ONE CHECK OUT MY GUN AND I WENT TO SHOOT IT AND IT BLEW UP BECAUSE THEY PUT SOME THING IN THE BARREL AND I DO NOT LET ANY ONE HANDLE MY GUN AFTER THAT BECAUSE I REALLY TRUSTED THE MAN THAT DID THAT SO I I CHECK ON MY WEPON MORE THEN I USED TO. AMEN :us:

1 Like

Not obstructed but clear. That’s what I meant to say. Bobby Jean