Just A Reminder

We’re all consumers, but how SMART a consumer are you? I’m repeating myself, but as consumers, you should separate the purchases you consider into three categories - NEED - WANT - and NICE TO HAVE. As food prices have gone up, I’ve stuck to buying mostly whole foods as much as possible - two items you should really examine when you grocery-shop are snack foods and cleaning products - I can’t remember the last time I even bought aluminum foil, other than a private/store brand. Planning a vacation? You might be better served to just stay home and enjoy the time off and the extra sleep - a stay at a seaside resort could cost you up to $200 or more in so-called “beach-use” taxes, depending on your length of stay. Stay SHARP, and keep a tight fist on your $$. FYI

6 Likes

The other day, at the store had some sticker shock on the Premium beer I buy. Relegated myself to one premium beer 12 pack and one “lower end” as opposed to the two Premiums I would usually buy :angry:

3 Likes

What’s the difference between a “Want” and a “Nice to Have”?

3 Likes

You may end up needing something you wanted because you thought it would be nice to have:)

5 Likes

The best example I can offer is when you’re shopping for any big-ticket item, like a car. You NEED basic, reliable transportation to get back-and-forth, and you decide a Honda Civic will do just that, after shopping for other cars in its class. After a while, you WANT something a little bigger - now you’re looking at an Accord - more powerful, and more comfortable and luxurious. Civics and Accords have been great cars over the years, but let’s say you’ve been promoted and given a salary raise. It would be NICE TO HAVE an Acura - another great car - to show off your new status. Many factors influence our buying decisions in addition to practicality, and we have to look through the veil of the marketing schemes that pound us every day.

3 Likes

You forgot - NEED. LOL

2 Likes

I would want a 1970 SS Chevelle to show status, not an import…

5 Likes

@Barry54, @KURT17
American muscle cars used to be the most sought-after display of automobile affluence!
MUSTANG, CAMERO, CHEVELLE AND MANY MANY MORE!

2 Likes

children work

My wife likes the Accord, the only upgrade she got - many years ago - was she started buying the EX versions. Me, I like my Mazda 6. My upgrade was from the Mazda 3. I don’t want a “luxury” car; don’t want to be afraid the paint will get scratched.

I learned a few months after my first new car, sh-t happens, and don’t let little sh-t interfere with enjoying life. A deer jumped in front of me and caused over 2k damage to my “beautiful new car”. After that, I don’t really care, either it can be repaired or you just get another one. Cars can be replaced, people can’t.

[edit] A couple of years later it was stolen and burned. I was not in it at the time… :rofl:

1 Like

Actually, many of the “imports” are made in the USA, while the “American-made” vehicles are produced in other countries.

2 Likes

@Dave17
I was referring to the older classic cars, but it’s really a moot point. There are a lot of great performance cars on the market now thanks to new technology. No car is really made in America anymore. They’re just assembled here from foreign made parts.

2 Likes

That is so true used to be Japan products and now seems every thing is made in China,sone do not even have englise on them ot instructions in english if you want to read the instructions you have to learn Chinese or if you are lucky,have a Chinese neighbor to translate it to you in English

@KURT17
That’s one sweet machine! My best was a 75 Dodge Dart Swinger. It had a hi po 318 with 3 on the floor and a custom 421 posi rear end. Black leather interior, Candy apple red with chrome front end, bumpers and rims to match. 3500 rpm, dump the clutch and your sideways in a car length!

1 Like

No, I didn’t forget “Need.” I understand the difference between a Need and a Want. I’m not so clear on the difference between a “Want” and a “Nice to Have”. Neither are needs.

2 Likes

Bingo.
My state used to be a big GM manufacturing state. Driving a Ford or a Dodge could get your car keyed in the parking lot.

You know what cars are manufactured in my state today? Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Honda. All those good-paying UAW jobs have gone to the GM plants in Mexico.

Take a drive through the mega-ghetto of Detroit with all its abandoned factories and then explain to me why I should have any loyalty to so-called “American” brands?

3 Likes