Just a Reminder - Preaching to the Choir - Secure Your Firearms

I just got done sweeping my condo, making sure Firearms and Knives and such are secured and put where little hands can’t get a hold of them. Kane, 1 year old and Will, 4 year old are coming over this afternoon and I don’t want them to get their hands on anything dangerous without supervision.
Look around your place, is EVERYTHING SAFE for the most important people in life? The little people.

22 Likes

Always a timely reminder!

Knives and pointed objects too.

8 Likes

Cleaning chemicals and things that can be easily pulled over too.

I once came out of the bathroom to find my then 3 year old son trying to climb a tall bookshelf. Fortunately I had anchored it to the wall so the only victims were all the books he had pulled off the shelves so he could look at the pictures. Amazing how much trouble little kids can get into if you take your eyes off of them for a minute or two.

13 Likes

Good advice always. Little hands can get into places you wouldn’t imagine.

My own situation, which you are free to classify as fortunate or un-fortunate as you see fit, is free of such considerations. Our household is composed of three adults in complete possession of their faculties and thoroughly versed in firearm safety. No strangers, children, or, to be honest, visitors of any sort come around, making it much easier to stage and store weapons of all kinds.

11 Likes

Big Kidz too Brother… Justa sayin’

WWG1WGA

8 Likes

Are you sure?

Just kiddin’ Brother ‘D’

WWG1WGA

7 Likes

That’s my official position and I’m sticking to it!

Besides, I said “in possession”, not “skilled in the use of”. Pay attention. :wink:

8 Likes

‘TRUTH!’

My House is (2) Adults (although I’m a dark horse depending on my mood)
I come home from ‘the city’ somedays and I wish I had that Draw Bridge I
keep joking about, or the Phoo-gas pods in the front yard, or the Punji stick pits…
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe it’s time for my med’s?
Anyway, (2) adults, many cats, (2) Shepard’s (who keep the kitties away from the gun racks…)

I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines’… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WWG1WGA

4 Likes

I know, right?!

I’ve often dreamed fondly of a drawbridge out front. You know, as part of the gatehouse with a portcullis to back it up. Of course, it only makes sense in the context of a crenelated perimeter wall with an integrated firing step, but, hey, in for a penny, in for a pound.

5 Likes

One year we looked for our 3 year old son for almost an hour and finally found him on the top shelf of my closet in my office. To this day we have no idea how he got up there.

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:I LIKE you’re thinkin’!

The ‘Arrow Slit’ windows looked a little funky in my Adobe home but the Mexican contractor’s
really got into installing the ‘Murder Holes’ in between the 1st and secondary walls! (and we got
the tilting Hot oils bucket at a 40% discount! the contractor had a cousin who knew a guy…) :rofl: :rofl:
(But be careful David…what you build often draws Tourists, but w/ them they feed the ‘Ally-gators’ for us
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Ya never know Kid, I found my kitten (Lil Wanda) sleeping
in her favorite Philodendron hanging planter yesterday…
snoozin’ away, happy as a clam
(the one w/ the pot we had to replace (2) weeks ago because
she was swinging on it like ‘Jane’ n the Jungle and she
pull the ceramic pot out of the macramé holder…Kids these days :rofl:

4 Likes

One word: caltrops!

A less lethal/injurious choice could be paint balls loaded with skunk juice. And fun!

3 Likes

Our only funny story with our kids getting into strange places was when our oldest was still in a crib. We were away on business and I took the family. We stuffed the crib mattress between our bed and the wall. Where could he go? We woke up in the night to a commotion and he had crawled into the bottom shelf of the bedside table. His head and feet were sticking out and he went back to sleep. Like good parents, we took a picture and let him stay there asleep.

5 Likes

With two teenagers in the home, in some ways I’m less concerned about locking up firearms and in other ways more concerned. My kids are old enough that I trust them to defend themselves with a gun if necessary. But since suicide is a major cause of death among teens, I am cognizant of that. We do have mental illness in our family and I had an uncle that took his own life. We stay very close to our kids and keep an eye on their mental health.

5 Likes

It’s not just your kids you need to trust. It’s any of their friends they may invite over or just talk to about your firearm ownership as well. That is why I will be keeping close control of firearm access even as my young son matures and continues to show he can be trusted around firearms.

This also brings up an important point that likely gets the kids of anti firearm parents in a lot more trouble than pro firearm parents. It is not enough to just control access to firearms in your own home. People should assume that kids can gain access to firearms in other peoples homes and educate their children on how to safely deal with that. Whether or not someone wants their kids to ever have access to a firearm, not teaching children basic firearm safety can put them in significant danger. Wishing firearms didn’t exist won’t keep children from potential encounters with them.

I know I’m mostly preaching to the choir here but just want to point that out for the anti self defense folks who might be checking in here to see what us “dangerous” firearm owners are up to.

5 Likes

Just get a hold of some Claymore anti- personnel mines just need 2 of them…

2 Likes

Agree with you 100%. However, my kids never have friends over without a parent present. I recognize my family context is strange. :grin:

5 Likes

When my daughter was young, my one loaded handgun was secured with a trigger lock; the key was always on a chain around my neck, just like my dogtags had been years earlier. Now, with no young children here, I do not worry. But IF there were children visiting, I would unload all accessible firearms and lock them up.

4 Likes

The only loaded gun would be on my person.

3 Likes