Jury duty

3 Likes

Got my summons for jury duty…for an entire year! No kidding, April 1 2022 - March 31 2023 :angry:

3 Likes

You have my sympathies. At this point, one of the best parts of being me is I ain’t you.

3 Likes

This thread actually saved my bacon. I had forgotten that I have to call in EVERY Monday this month after 5PM to find out if I need to be there Tuesday Morning. I checked in this morning and saw the thread, made the call and I’m good till next Monday. Need a better reminder system as I tend to ignore my phone.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

@Craig6 >> Keep a little calendar on the counter near the coffee maker.

4 Likes

I just sat on a jury, it’s really not that big of a deal. They treated us like king/queens. 3 days plus deliberations. Very Very interesting stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve done jury duty before, in another state and a much larger city. But that term was only a month.

Being on jury call for a year will certainly hamper vacations, family plans etc.

2 Likes

Here, in Utah, your on the list for a year, I think, but if you’re called and show up, you’re off the list for two years.

2 Likes

• ONCE WAS ENOUGH FOR ME * <<<
3 Likes

Just wear your USCCA t-shirt to court.

7 Likes

Yes—

2 Likes

Don’t know

1 Like

I served on a jury in downtown Detroit about 5 years ago. Low and behold it was a firearms case. The defendant was a hard working, self employed plumber who got pulled over for expired plates in a hoity-toity neighborhood that the cops watch because of the famous residents while the rest of the city gets looted. The plumber also had three long guns and a Glock ( locked in a case w/o ammo). To make a long story short, this guy had done nothing wrong ( except for his expired plates and insurance ) with respect to the firearms. None of the jury had a clue as to the State of Michigan firearms laws…except me. At one point one of the arresting officers was asked if he knew the law on firearms. Shook his head and said,“No, not really” So when the time came to deliberate I told my fellow jurors that I had a CPL and this poor guy did nothing wrong as relating to the firearms or their location in the pickup truck he was driving. Verdict: Not Guilty!

7 Likes

:exploding_head:

Wouldn’t you think that at least one person in the DA’s office would be tasked with looking up the law before pressing charges? How did they even know which charges to file?

5 Likes

You rock Raymond34!

Goes to show how our community goes out of our way to learn the laws, and that the USSCA also teaches us. You helped a friend in need.

3 Likes

Quade5
We are dealing with Detroit here. You’re not going to find any Mensa candidates in the courtroom I was in. The lack of knowledge of the Michigan gun laws by the prosecuting attorney and the cops was appalling. The defendant should have been issued 3 citations for expired pistol license, expired driver’s license, and expired truck insurance. Instead, he spent a night in jail and big bucks for an attorney. All the while the real bad guys are looting the city and shooting up the neighborhoods.

4 Likes

I am doing my civic duty and reporting for jury summons tomorrow. Last time I went I ended up being the jury forman - I don’t think I want that job again.

Anyway, how many think its a good idea to bring a copy of Concealled Carry magazine to pass the time? :rofl: JUST JOKING! Although it might keep me from getting selected from the jury pool

6 Likes

After the trial I was talking to the judge in the jury room, we were talking about Utah’s CC and Stand Your Ground laws he said “I’ll bet your CC permit doesn’t say ‘Judge’ on it, mine does.”

4 Likes

It would of been funny if your name was Judge :rofl:

5 Likes

As in Aaron or Taurus. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes