It's always a race to 911

Rick Sapp is great at addressing controversial situations - and you definitely know where he stands on them by the end of his blog articles.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/law-versus-justice-780-seconds-blog-laced-personal-opinion/

Articles about abused women are always hard for me to read. Abusive relationships can happen to either sex and, for some, it’s very hard to see that the relationship as abusive until they are out of the situation. And sometimes it’s hard to get truly out of the situation:

31-year-old Marissa Alexander, objects to being beaten. The year before she had requested an injunction for protection from him, but like so many abused women, she returns to him because she “loves him,” she “wants to give the relationship a chance,” she wants to help him…and because she’s pregnant.

The whole situation Marissa was in was turned upside down when her abuser was the first to call 911 when Marissa fired a warning shot.

Rick sums up what to do if you ever have to use your firearm in self-defense regardless of the circumstances.

This socially minute, but complicated, incident in human history tells me that if I ever use a firearm in self-defense, regardless of the circumstances, I must immediately do several things:

1. I must be the first person to call 911.
  2. I must tell the truth to investigators—that I was afraid for my life.
  3. I must hire the finest lawyers I can afford and speak only to them.
  4. I must refuse, regardless of my patriotic civics training or personal confidence that I am innocent, to blindly trust the legal system.
  5. I must develop “talking points” with my lawyers before speaking to any member of the media.

Do you have a lawyer you can call? Or a USCCA membership to assist you with your legal protection?

USCCA Members, the Critical Response Team will arrange for your attorney when you call the USCCA after your self-defense incident. You can always choose a different attorney or let us know who you’d like to work with now in case the worst would happen. You can see all of the USCCA Attorney Network Attorneys in your Membership Dashboard.

5 Likes

There is always a race to be won. A race to 911 and/or a race to the courthouse in all criminal matters. And yes, invoke your right to counsel before peeping a word.

2 Likes

Ain’t that about the truth!

Paul said the same thing in his letter to the church of Corinth about salvation and eternal life. Therefore, I would agree with that and then some,
Not trying to sound like a "sore winner" yes, the sore winner not loser, but BE FIRST or attempt to be first in every matter especially those pertaining to legal issues.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.” (1Cor. 9.24)

1 Like

@MikeBKY

I read your post, and you made an addendum, that I thought was very important. Be the first to the Courthouse.

25ish years ago, I had a self defense situation where someone attacked me with a Bowie knife. I disarmed them, and defended my self. Once I had subdued the aggressor, I called 911. Law Enforcement arrived, took my statement, witness statements, a copy of security footage, and then arrested the man who attacked me. I was then released and went home.

Two days later, I get a call at work (I was GM of a steakhouse) from the District Attorney’s Office about the incident that occured. They advise me that a warrant has been issued for my arrest, for Assault and Battery, and that it would be in my best interest to turn myself in.

I call my attorney, and we make arrangements for me to turn myself in. The man who attacked me had went to the Courthouse, once he made bond, and pressed charges against me. This is the same incident that Law Enforcement had already investigated and released me for.

After some back and forth between my attorney, the DA’s office, and the Law Enforcement Officers who investigated, all charges were dismissed with prejudice and filing a false police report was added to the laundry list of charges against the attacker.

During final conversations with the DA, I was told that I should have followed up by going to the Courthouse. I thought that the act of Law Enforcement arresting the attacker was all that I needed and that I would only be needed if the case went to trial. I evidently was wrong. So now even 25+ years later, I follow up if I have any interaction with Law Enforcement in their professional capacity

TLDR: CYA, even when you are the victim. Even when you are in the right. This lesson cost me several thousand dollars.

YMMV

3 Likes

That is an interesting turn of events @Zavier_D! That should not have happened. The prosecutor should have known about the arrest but, sometime, especially in the old days, it took time for the flow of paperwork to make its way through the system. Today, the vast majority of police have instant access to local and federal records that would have shown them the earlier arrest of the assailant. I can say for sure that things were a lot different in 1995 than today. That is about the time the flip phone came out and MDTs (mobile data terminals) were nonexistent in policing.
But, even with the race to the courthouse, it is still always possible to have both the assailant and the victim charged as a result of an altercation.

1 Like