Is your EDC your nightstand home defense?

Yes!!!

2 Likes

You’ll shoot your eye out!

2 Likes

That is absolutely awesome. Very cool kit.

3 Likes

:laughing: lol lol

1 Like

4 Likes

No. Why limit myself to a smaller carry gun? My nightstand gun is a Glock 17 and a shotgun nearby.

4 Likes

My EDC is usually the pistol I keep under my pillow. If somehow they get into my house and bedroom I not going to let them use what is on the nightstand against me. I usually take my EDC to the range along with other pistols & rifles I have.

6 Likes

I suggest a quick access safe on/in the nightstand if an intruder getting into your bedroom before you are able to wake up is a concern.

3 Likes

Absolutely, however, a backup is always recommended…

7 Likes

Sooo… she is your backup? In my dreams. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yeah! And pity the fool that wakes me up!

5 Likes

That’s exactly my setup. In listening to one of the USCCA video’s a lawyer was talking about how a defense lawyer would try to get the idea across that you were not quite awake so your judgement was impaired. Thus the shooting was unjustified.

My total setup works like this

Open nightstand drawer
Unlock safe (Biometric)
Remove gun from safe (already chambered with 9mm hollow point)
Flick holster off
Turn off safety off

My 365 has a Sig Laser that is only active while squeezing the grip. Ease the grip and the laser goes off

5 Likes

Normally, my EDC XD40 is my nightstand gun. However, when our alarm activated late one night, I found accessing it in it’s “nighttime mode” (in the plastic case that the pistol was sold in) took longer than I wanted it to. So I added my AR-9 that has both a green laser and a holosight as a back-up. The 32 round magazine is on the nightstand, and the AR-9’s BCG is locked to the rear. So I can grab the AR-9 and the magazine, and slap the mag home and release the bolt-catch while I am in motion. The green laser is zeroed to the length of the living room, as that is the engagement distance.

The alarm was only the door sensor “losing it’s grip” on the doorframe, so false alarm, but it showed me where my plan was lacking. Silver lining and all…

7 Likes

When I jump out of bed at night, it takes me a long time to just figure out which way is up.
Just one of the many reasons I would fail as a fire fighter.

It’s why I don’t have a safe in my night stand, because I don’t think there’s much chance I could unlock one in the middle of the night. I never thought of using the pistol case, though; that’s an interesting idea.

5 Likes

My nighttime mode is my EDC in a Comfort Cling pocket holster under the pillow.
IWB holster during the day, pocket holster at nighttime.
Just trying to keep it simple while trigger is covered at all times when not in use.

5 Likes

It seems that, without planning it, I started collecting a full-size variant of each of my carry guns.

Glock 19 gen 5 MOS - Glock 19X
Sig P320 X-Compact - Sig P320 M17
Sig P229 - Sig P226 Legion

That way my carry gun can stay in my Vaultek chambered and in its holster and I can have a familiar setup for at night with additional capacity and a familiar manual of arms. This has also helped to reduce the unnecessary chambering of a round every time a holster up.

Lately I’ve had the P226 with a Surefire X300U next to the bed.

5 Likes

My EDC pistol is not my primary home defense pistol. I have three carry pistols. Usually I carry my Walther CCP. My primary home defense pistol is my Ruger American Pro 9mm. 17+1, tritium sights, Talon sticky grip tape & a nice 500lumin light. I use Hornady 124gr +P ammo.

7 Likes

Which light is that?

3 Likes

Yes, my IWB is taken out of the holster and the round is taken out of the chamber and the full mag is inserted. It sits on my night stand. Reach, Rack, Defend. The argument that a defense attorney would make a case that I’m not making good decisions would certainly have to be weighed against the decisions made by the person in my bedroom.

4 Likes

My night stand pistol is my M&P 2.0 compact with an Inforce WML and a spare 15 round mag. I also keep my M&P 15 sport 2 5.56 right next to me within arms reach which has one chambered and a 30 round mag and has a Streamlight WML. All I will ever need. Of course I conceal carry my M&P 9 Shield Plus PC model with a 13 round mag and one in the pipe and the extra 10 round mag.

9 Likes