Is freedom of Speech the first freedom we are giving up?

@Scott52 Happy Anniversary!

1 Like

I feel just as you do. :us:

1 Like

John Glubb’s The Fate of Empires has detailed the life cycle of Western empires and it’s principles have been used to examine and predict Eastern ones with a fair amount of success as well. They don’t all collapse like Rome. Sometimes they just shrink into irrelevance like France, Great Britain and Spain.

This quote seems especially appropriate at the moment: "Another remarkable and unexpected symptom of national decline is the intensification of internal political hatreds.”

“A universal pessimism gradually pervades the people, and itself hastens the decline.” Frivolity, says Glubb, becomes the main occupation. “Gladiatorial shows, chariot races and athletic events were [the Roman’s] passion. In the Byzantine Empire the rivalries of the Greens and the Blues in the hippodrome attained the importance of a major crisis.”

Thanks for continuing to bring the thread back on topic. We appreciate it!

We know this is a heated topic and we want you to be able to have good conversations about it, but we do ask that everyone keeps it productive. A few quick housekeeping reminders:

• No name-calling personal attacks - we’re here to talk about ideas not to attack each other for differing ideas. And that does go for people outside of the Community too.
  • Stay on topic - thanks for keeping it close to the topic
  • No calls to incite violence or overthrow the government. Discussion of the possibility of different events is OK, trying to incite those events is not.

Back to the topic

Great book! It’s also one of Tim Schmidt’s favorites.

Who is John Galt?

3 Likes

Thanks Stan, yes, just one of many symptoms of a declining civilization and culture.

One symptom not discussed very often is that nations with many foreign wars and standing armies aboard have been destroyed by the huge expense and the changing of their culture with the influence of immigrants from the conquered regions. Britain would be a perfect example, I think.

I think, too, the modern advent of the internet with social media has hastened the slide.

2 Likes

Very true. The internet has given everyone a megaphone.

1 Like

and for the billionaire elites and big corporations a hammer to control information and thought.

2 Likes

Also “Rules for Radicals” by Saul Alinsky

1 Like

Never were more true words spoken. “They” use social media, and regular media to inundate is with their agenda. It has one of to effects. It wears one down to the point of compliance, or, it hardens the resolve. The biggest problem, is through this process all credibility comes into question. At some point, all trials of the vaccine will be completed, and their finding released. Regardless of the outcome, the lines have already been drawn.

3 Likes

yes, the 24/7 constant mantra is nauseating. Lots of BS, guessing, waffling, lying and out right wrong. Only a fool would believe half of what they hear on either side. I got the vaccine because I am 73 and the reward out weighs the risks.

Why anyone would be on social media is beyond my understanding. lol

1 Like

Another interesting book is “American Marxism” by Mark Levin

Dawn, why are you trying to kill my fun!?? :crazy_face:

I actually agree, if the government needs to be changed, it needs to be changed by voting, or even running for office.

If one is using it to actually be social, it’s great. If anyone believes everything they read on there, I’ve got a bridge I’ll sell them that goes to Hawaii.

It’s worse than that. Many people particularly children (mostly girls) commit suicide because of what others say about them on many of those apps. Facebook and Twitter know this and do nothing to prevent it (except censor the free speech of those they disagree with). Kind of like cigarette companies. It’s all about money. My mom always told me “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”.

The internet is a wonderful thing but like everything, humans find evil ways to use good things. It’s a sad commentary on our humanity.

3 Likes