Interesting FL Case Involving SYG & Castle Doctrine: Homeowner Kills Unarmed Burglar & No Charges

2 Likes

From the info in the article, sounds like a good shoot. Sorry the criminal did not get help earlier in his life.

4 Likes

As far as FL goes, there is no controversy here. The homeowner did all he could to prevent a tragic outcome, but his words fell on deaf ears of a hardened felon, probably also drugged out of his mind.

3 Likes

Yes, but FL is one of only a hand full of states with justifiable force laws strong enough to allow for this sort of thing to transpire without criminal entanglements for the homeowner. A lot of people assume these laws are the same in all states and countries, but they vary pretty widely.

4 Likes

So…had the burglar not been engaged in an illegal activity, violating the sanctity of a man’s home, his castle, where he and his family lay sleeping (you know, probably tired from working and all), victimizing innocent people, trying to steal from someone who actually worked and paid for what they had, he may still be alive today continuing to be a non-productive parasite on society. Sounds to me like the burglar received his just comeuppance.
Justice - “the condition of being morally correct or fair. The quality of being fair or right”. Cambridge Dictionary
All the old boy had to do was not break & enter into another man’s home (you know, what civilized society considers a crime). Had he been home, sleeping so he would be well-rested so he go to work the next day (you know, kind of like the man who he attempted to victimize), the odds of getting shot now become extremely low. Impossible? No, but it would not have been this homeowner who shot him.

7 Likes

Here is another FL SYG case, I was surprised at no charges:

2 Likes

FL has a list of “forcible felonies” written into law. Carjacking and GTA are on the list. Stealing a vehicle from a car wash also invokes some “shopkeeper laws” type of stuff that puts this employee of the car wash on very solid ground to use lethal force. He was good no matter how you sliced it in that case. If you are trying to stop a forcible felony in FL, lethal force is justified.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to say I am qualified to have a legal dispute, but

776.08 Forcible felony.—“Forcible felony” means treason; murder; manslaughter; sexual battery; carjacking; home-invasion robbery; robbery; burglary; arson; kidnapping; aggravated assault; aggravated battery; aggravated stalking; aircraft piracy; unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb; and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

Theft of motor vehicle, by itself, is not on the list. We can’t see what else was said or done, obviously, the criminal could have threatened to run over people, which would make it a forcible felony.

1 Like

The shooting occurred a little over 2 years ago. The linked article does not make any mention about jail time, bail fees, legal fees, etc. That is information I would like to know - in other words, what has the guy been thru since the shooting.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. Auto theft is not specified on the list. But my point about this incident remains the same. He obviously threatened or attempted to run over the guy standing in front of the bumper when the truck first moved. They had words, too. The point being he was TAKING a vehicle FROM people (carjacking), not just stealing an unattended vehicle. It also happened at a place of business where vehicles are the subject of commerce. And the shooter was an employee of that business and the victim was the business owner/manager. This was a totally righteous shoot under FL law no matter how you slice it.

1 Like

Here’s another good news story. Unfortunately, one of the ELDERLY people the intruder tried to victimize was injured/cut but, thank goodness, not too badly. The 82 year old would be victim didn’t even fire a shot but “neutralized the threat” with “the butt of a gun”. The police probably took his gun…I hope he gets it back. Oh, BTW, the intruder won’t be bothering anyone else…ever.

1 Like