Instructor Notes: Failed Qualifying

Agree completely. Having taught a lot of new shooters, I have to say the biggest mistake any of them make is choosing the wrong firearm. And sadly, in spite of all the hype, pistols like the the Ruger LCP 380 and larger 9mm, along with other DAO pocket pistols are extremely difficult to shoot for new shooters and really not as good as pistols like a simple Taurus G2s that has a much better grip, sights and trigger.

3 Likes

John, I have to agree with you. The .380 should be used as an ankle firearm. To qualify you should use a .22 or a 9mm.

2 Likes

I don’t know what other states allow, but in New Mexico, the caliber you use to qualify is the largest you’re allowed to carry concealed. It’s specified on your license. Likewise, you have to qualify with a semi or revolver to carry each, respectively. Finally, you can carry a .22 concealed, but you can’t qualify with one; the minimum qualification caliber is .32.

2 Likes

Depending on distance.it’s an excellent skill. Small 380s with tiny sights are a no brainet for this type of practice

2 Likes