Instant Replay: Diagnosing Shooting Problems | CCM | USCCA

“Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.” – Vince Lombardi

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/instant-replay-diagnosing-shooting-problems-through-video-analysis/
3 Likes

My shots are pretty consistently low and left. The firearm instructor that I’ve had a few lessons with kept telling me that I was “slapping” the trigger. After watching all of John Lovell’s videos (The Warrior Poet Society) on YouTube, I bought a flexible tripod that would hold my phone, went to my local range, and got permission to record myself firing. I wasn’t seeing anything I recognized as anything other than a smooth trigger pull and I didn’t see my muzzle dipping before the shot broke. What I kept seeing, even though the angle was wrong for it, was my support hand kept moving on the firearm. I got extremely lucky and someone that travels the country as a firearm instructor was kind enough to review the footage for me. I was told that it looked like my support hand was too low and my index finger on it wasn’t in the right spot. I’m planning on heading back to the range, recording equipment in hand, follow those tips, take my time, and check for improvement. I have a sneaking suspicion that he’s right.

2 Likes