'Infectious' laughter: Man arrested for joking about COVID

A Louisiana man is fighting in court for the First Amendment right to express satire after he made a joke about COVID-19, and was arrested by a sheriff’s armed SWAT team that confronted him with guns drawn.

The Institute for Justice has confirmed it has taken up the case involving Waylon Bailey of New Orleans.

He had posted a joke online comparing the COVID-19 pandemic to a zombie apocalypse, and his Facebook friends all got the comedy.

But his post, using some pretty flamboyant language and references to the Brad Pitt zombie movie “World War Z,” also drew the attention of the local sheriff’s office.

His joke was that the sheriff’s officers had been ordered to shoot the “infected.”

6 Likes

Can someone please verify if it was indeed in Louisiana, and not Canada :canada:, Australia :australia:, or the United Kingdom :uk:?

3 Likes

What happened to just labeling the comment “misleading” as always and just move on?

5 Likes

" Waylon Bailey’s Facebook post joked that deputies had been ordered to ‘shoot on sight’ if they came across someone with the coronavirus"

1 Like

They knew they couldn’t make it stick, they used it to send a message “push back against big brother and guys with body armor and guns will come to your house…”.

7 Likes

sadly sure seems like our for the people portion of our Gov is doing just that…

not a good thing IMHO

6 Likes

I’m used to reading stories about bureaucrats with no sense of humor, but… they sent SWAT? Seriously?

You know what would have been a better response? Report his Facebook post or reply to it and set the record straight.

6 Likes

YGTBSM

1 Like

I ended up in FB jail over this!

8 Likes

@George98 misinformation :grin:

5 Likes

And potentially dangerous I was told! :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

FLAGGED:rofl:

4 Likes

that would be a novel response…