Incomplete training

I was an armed security officer in North Carolina. The one regret I have is that my training did not extend to “what to do when the bad guy complies.” I stopped a robbery at the bank where I was standing post. I did a couple things wrong (looking back). Better training on detaining a culprit would have helped.

3 Likes

Welcome to the gathering @Ward1. Hopefully, you are finding good information in the library USCCA has here. The maintenance of the control you fought to achieve in the scenario suggested is not nearly as explored in-depth as getting there seems to be.

What lessons did you find important immediately after you neutralized the threat the bad guy created? And then, you needed to continue to manage the scene until law enforcement personnel arrived? What happened that helped or made things worse? What would you suggest and recommend based upon your experience?

Managing the situation until the police arrived was easy, once I resumed doing the right things. When I first challenged the culprit I should have: 1) made him show me his hands and 2) get on his knees with ankles crossed and fingers laced behind his head. Not doing these things made the process more hazardous, even if I had the drop on him. It was also more hazardous for the officer who cuffed him. Now I know, but I should have had that training.
Despite this lack, I received EXCELLENT training from a former SEAL. For this reason, an armed security officer should be referred to as OFFICER because of the extensive training we receive.

@Ward1

Kudo’s on your professionalism and wanting to find more training. I’m going to tag another security officer here.

@Spence

He is a security officer as well and a professional as well. He may very well know of some great resources.

There may not be a lot of book training or videos, but there is a tremendous amount of Institutional knowledge here. Good luck going forward.

One piece of advice, never try to bind someone solo. As that puts you in danger.

1 Like

I simply detained the culprit at gunpoint; my point was that those two things I did wrong should have been taught before I strapped on a gun for that job. Don’t need the training now, but my brethren just entering the field need that training. God bless 'em!

1 Like

A good start. Thank you for that. May I ask: What was the after-action process? Did you have back up on two-way in a remote monitoring station in the building to coordinate law enforcement, physically back you up? Or was it by your command/the bank managers to make the 911? Did front line employees have and use panic buttons? How about securing the crime scene? Seal the doors? Ensure the robber was a solo operator, not part of a two-man or team?

Like I said, good to know how important it is to hobble the bad actor you have in front of you. Maintain that control until LE has them in custody. But if you’re helping your associates learn from your experience what else about the moments after you make the collar did you see, worry about, do to satisfy yourself, that you had the room under your control?

If I’m digging into information regarded Not for general discussion, thanks for what you shared, I’m not going anywhere someone with a thought or two wouldn’t piece together. On that thought, it’s incredible criminals still try, thinking they have that half a second to get in and out before someone gets there, and the people who would be standing there won’t get involved because they’re too afraid for their own lives.

Wow… okay. Here goes.

The “after-action process” was: being interviewed by the Kings Mountain, NC PD, the FBI, and my boss, just hanging around 'til the investigation by those worthies was finished and the bank was closed.

There was no back-up on remote monitoring… the security company and the bank were too small to provide that. One of the employees tripped the silent alarm bringing the entire Kings Mountain PD into the bank about five to ten minutes after I detained the guy.

When I entered the bank lobby, it was deathly quiet. There were a few customers but they were nervously stationary, and the culprit was alone and the only person moving (cleaning out the last of four cash drawers). I was behind him and he was unaware of my presence.

As it turns out, this fellow had just finished a ten-year stretch for the same thing. Either he really likes orange jumpsuits, or he was one of those who couldn’t make it without free room, board, TV and medical.

1 Like

A good set of handcuffs and loud verbal commands go a long way. I will say loud and clear, not enough companies put any focus on verbal judo and de-escalation tactics.

Unfortunately far too many companies are just looking for “scarecrows” and not actual security officers. By that I mean a body in a uniform with no training or lacking the fortitude to use training. (We get decent training where I work, but we have several “kids” aka young adults who freeze when the defecation hits oscillation.)

I’m glad everything worked out for you @Ward1

1 Like

I absolutely agree. I appreciate what you did that day and you’re right Officer Ward, You did a mans’ job. I am glad you’re sharing what you learned so others might have a better chance of survival. Wisdom earned in experience and shared at least gives the junior man a leg up if he/she is open to hearing it.

It amazes me and tells a lot about the life, people just released will throw it over to go back with what they know, friends they have inside, and the fact they’re so far out of sync with the outside.

@Ward1

Or he could have become “institutionalized”. It’s a sad fact for many that are released they don’t have a support network to fall back on. Thus they reoffend, it’s not a great life but it’s one they know.

1 Like