Incident in Mall

Lessons to be learned here. You’re on your own. Period.

Also, you did well by not involving yourself in a situation that doesn’t involve you. Be a good witness.

Third, crime can happen anywhere and everywhere for any reason or no reason at all. Always stay aware of your surroundings.

Be armed. Be trained. Be Alpha.

3 Likes

We usually what has been ordered than not. So if something shows up that hasn’t been ordered. 1st doesn’t open. questions are asked through closed door. Been here and done this. Had an individual on our front porch 0230 in the morning.; We were up late watching movies. The HH6 and I were stacked up at the door asking questions. We figured out he was highly intoxicated. He decide stopping at our house was not a good idea and went on his merry way. Second part of the story is he ended up asleep at the front door of our church up the road on a Sunday morning. He got a cup of coffee and a great sermon that day. God does work misteriously

1 Like

For your own safety it’s best, especially with a crowd around, to fade away and not get involved. If one had pulled a gun and you did as well it could have turned into a nightmare for you. The adrenaline effect in a situation like that can literally muddle thought processes, actions, and even your vision can be affected…unless you’ve dealt with dangerous situations in the past, have practiced different scenarios in preparation, have a good idea of how you’d react in a threatening situation, fade away.

2 Likes

Let’s say a weapon was indeed pulled.
Personally, unless the weapon’s pointed in my direction or my family’s, it’s not worth a post-incident call to USCCA.
I won’t drag myself unnecessarily into a situation that is 100% avoidable.
My USCCA insurance is not intended for public consumption.

4 Likes

A blast from the past about the perils of intervention…

" This article originally appeared in the Nov/Dec 2013 issue of Concealed Carry Magazine ."

4 Likes

Happy anniversary @techs and God bless you.

2 Likes

I Can see how that situation could’ve gone bad. A lot of confusion, not knowing who’s who and you just roll up onto a fiasco like this. A crowd was forming and a discharged firearm could’ve ended an innocent bystanders life. I wouldn’t want to be an officer responding to this call. Thank God no one was killed and the perp was apprehended.

3 Likes

Thank you, sir!
Good cheer and a safe new year to you, and to all righteous members of the community.
:partying_face:

2 Likes

In my younger days, I’d a stayed and watched the fight, now that I’m older and (hopefully) wiser I’m looking for the exit. Too many times in my life I’ve seen these 1 on 1 fistacuffs get really outta hand. Combatant A gets thrown into the crowd right into spectator 1, he gets pissed off and starts throwing down which in turn angers spectator 2 who joins in and the next thing you know “Everybody was Kungfu Fighting”. When carrying the smart thing to do is just say, ain’t my fight and head for the doors. Thats my take YMMV…

3 Likes

You’re right to be concerned. Young people don’t seem to value life and it doesn’t take much in the way of a fight to convince one of them to produce a weapon then others in the area are involved whether they want to be or not as bullets may be flying everywhere.

1 Like

You would absolutely be safe then​:laughing::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

:laughing::rofl:you’re killing me. But you’re probably not far from the truth

1 Like

You aren’t paranoid and you’re foolish if you don’t do those things in this day and age. It’s a real shame it’s something we have to worry about but it’s just a sign of the times I’m afraid

2 Likes

Back in the day, if ya had a beef, ya met up and threw down. In my life, I’ve given lumps and taken lumps. Only once in all though fights (and I was known as a fighter) whether in the school yard or the barroom was a weapon involved. While I was straddling a guy and giving him a nose job, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a switchblade. A buddy of mine broke his hand with the stomp of a size 12 boot. Problem solved.
Now-a-days you’re dodging bullets.

2 Likes

Sadly, a trip to the store (or mall), out of necessity, has become a tactical exercise. Where is a safe exit other than the main door? Where is another exit if you can’t use those two? Where are the fire exits and fire pull boxes (faster than calling 911). Where can you “hole-up” if you can’t get out? Did you see armed security? Where are they? Does your mobile phone work inside the store? Does your family know where you were going? Where is concealment and cover? Did you really need to make this trip? BTW, I tend towards optimism.

3 Likes

Always has been, for the attentive. Active shooter is still a near zero possibility for most of us — compared to the more likely fire, weather, structure, stampede, or other emergency in any crowded venue. Scouting the options has always been more prudent than waiting for emergencies to present.

Check local listings on that. If a pull box is faster than 9-1-1, then the emergency response system in your community is broken.

A lot of pull boxes and exit alarms will be local only — they don’t transmit out, but alert the facility staff of possible need for them to call 9-1-1 or investigate or whatever the store policy might be. And audible to maybe increase occupant panic. Having an alarm company call the facility for confirmation (or call the PSAP to report “unknown alarm” “water flow” or “fire pull”) should not be faster.

2 Likes

Very good points!

2 Likes