Imminent Danger?

To Tennessee,
No one should ever be put in your mother’s position or have to suffer it, but I know many suffer the same fate. I have my only ‘inner’ opinion about how she tried to solve her problem, and the legal outcome her attorney could have argued for. What I publicly can say is different than what I might confidentially share with someone in her position. But this points out the tough legal and moral questions you must answer for yourself sometimes.

The posts you folks have made demonstrate the wide variety of backgrounds, educations and experiences that have led each of us to this site and topic, and to be armed now.
Hopefully, we will use this forum to share for comment or ask serious questions you seek answers to.
No one here can give specific’ legal’ advice, not even the attorneys here like me, but will gladly share some insight into what should be running through your head about this topic.
Imminent danger is different for each of us to judge, usually in a matter of seconds, or in a jury room after the fact. For love of God, and the sake of you and your family, don’t make a bad judgment out of ignorance. Sorry, its hard for me to stop being a teacher.
It is critically important that we/I/you know the possible legal, psychological, ethical, moral and societal consequences of defending ourselves with a gun, the financial costs of doing so, and have thought through and prepared for them in advance of having to do so under high stress. You don’t get to say ‘oops’ once the bullet leaves the muzzle.
The USCCA and its magazine ‘preach’ this message. Read, think, learn. You are being told the truth. I have yet to see ‘bad’ advice or education in the magazine.
Only once you are sure you are willing to use a gun ‘for real’, that is to take a human life when necessary to stop an attack, and then face those consequences, should you pick up a gun. Only then will you be serious about ‘Proper training, proper practice’ necessary to be effective in your use of that gun when needed to protect you and keep you alive.
That is my “Trainer” education coming out, because I have seen and confronted numerous students, friends, acquaintances and others who could NOT answer yes to my question, who were surprised at me advising them not to buy or pick up a gun until they could.

On the topic of imminent danger, but at a societal level:
For me, it is important that I get over any shyness or hesitancy, to speak up and speak out politely and clearly whenever I encounter someone in public ‘spouting off’ with false anti-gun propaganda, or merely showing their simple ignorance on the topics. That means in the checkout line, at the cafe, on the bus, etc. If we ‘just said NO’ loudly, and accurately corrected those people, It would help stop them infecting others, and would educate anyone listening that it is ok to stand up for the truth.
Once you recognize we are in a war declared on us by forces that have been incrementally attacking our rights and freedoms, do you sit back and hope someone else protects you, or stand up yourself? I wear a NRA logo cap with their motto “STAND AND FIGHT” in hopes of encouraging conversation with supporters as well as antagonists. You could do the same with any important societal issue under attack.

4 Likes

BTW
Tennessee, for an interesting, yet realistic take on imminent danger, watch the movie, ‘The Rainmaker’ (1979) with Matt Damon and Danny DeVito. It is on Amazon and others. It has a lawyer as a decent good guy for a change.

5 Likes

Thank you Terry36 for the kind words. Certain situations are tricky when it comes to self-defense. I love everything that the USCCA has to offer and love the magazines! They are the best. Never stop being a teacher- we need good ones!! And I think I’ve seen that movie!!

3 Likes

Sorry the Packers aren’t playing the Chiefs :unamused: I was hoping for a rematch of Super Bowl 1

Go CHIEFS!

3 Likes