I'm thinking about taking the instructor course. Any Instructors out there?

@Aaron25 What is the minimum number of students per class? Thanks…

1 Like

Going on my memory here (not always a good idea)–I think 4.
Finding students right now is not the problem. It’s finding a safe venue/strategy.
I was thinking of doing zoom classes and then range time with PPE, but ensuring all the students have PPE is impractical).

2 Likes

The other thing I’d say about USCCA classes–the slides and the production quality of the presentations for the instructors are superior. The NRA has had to up their game since the entry of the USCCA, so it’s been good for everyone–the NRA’s CCW class is a great example of that.
Coming from a guy who has spent a LOT of time building presentations, it’s something I really appreciate.

4 Likes

You should gain credibility by going to Gunsite Academy or another credible nationally recognized training organization to make sure your own skills are up to snuff. Take a class from the likes of Clint Smith or Dave Spaulding, Recognize that there is more than one way to accomplish a task. The best way to become a good instructor is by being a great student. I have been doing this for over 20 years and I have found that the most important quality for an instructor is to put your students FIRST. It’s not about us, it’s about them.
As for the logistics, you need to find a range to work with. That may not be an easy task but if you don’t have a place to do live fire it is incredibly hard.
Good luck to you.

5 Likes

John–I think taking those classes are a great idea, but I dont’ know that a noob to the world we live in will understand the relevance and value of that.
Toss around names like Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith, Jeff Cooper, Rob PIncus–you see a lot of blank stares. The only recognition I ever get is from guys who are there with their wives.

3 Likes

As with most small businesses you gain your following by reputation. Being proficient in your field is EXPECTED as in more proficient than just being able to read the slides and present the canned info. Shooting is no different as you will come across ALL levels of shooters if you do basic / CCW classes. Then there are the odd ducks like me who show up and take the course to evaluate the presenter for the sanctioning body or interested entity looking to hire an instructor. Having taken courses from big name institutions make for nice wall hangers but most folks never actually train with the big names as the “adjunct instructors” are the hands on folks that get the training to the students, these folks are usually bi products of 18 years in Trashcanistan and a few years less in Iraq.

@Aaron25 brings out some very good points that most folks don’t consider regarding the business model aspect of instructing. With the new challenges we are facing for person to person contact it is even more difficult. Your best bet might be to team up with a local range and offer your services as an instructor under their banner or get with a local shooting club. I used to recommend the Boy Scouts as they were ALWAYS looking for instructors but it seems they have fallen on hard times, 4-H and Raratian (sp) clubs may be an option as well as some churches/fraternal organizations/etc. who may be looking for “certified training” for their volunteer security teams and such.

The classes/people are out there but the range and classroom issues are the most difficult to overcome.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I’m very familiar all of those names with the exception of Clint Smith. I have heard of him but don’t know much about him. Mas is a living legend. I think it’s great that Rob has partnered with USCCA.

Oh and Colonel Cooper is another great contributor to the world of firearms instruction and a legend in his own right.

2 Likes