If you use a cable to secure your car gun safe, which one is best? Does it matter?

cool i like that !

1 Like

I use the cables that come with the boxes, because they have the heads sized for the hole that closes when the lid is shut. I have two in my main sedan, one under the driver seat and one in the trunk, each secured with a cable. Which one I use depends on where I am, time of day, how long I will be away from the car.
I bought one box at LGS. the other at Harbor Freight.,

3 Likes

The cables that come with most of those portable safes are pretty thin, but fortunately most casual thieves don’t tote around cable cutters. Maybe a screwdriver to pry open a locked glove compartment. If someone knows you store a gun in your car, they might plan ahead, of course, so no “You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers” bumper stickers, please.

2 Likes

Agreed - PD in my town recently posted some stats about reported stolen guns so far this year - about 60% were thefts from unlocked cars. A little bit of deterrence is often all that is required.

4 Likes

Personally I don’t understand people keeping doors unlocked.

My house is always locked whether we are in it or not.
Same with our cars.
Even the car parked in the garage is locked…

3 Likes

He is talking about putting a cable to the lock box to secure it to the vehicle…not a cable alone.

2 Likes

And the portable cutting tool I’m talking about will quickly cut cables and other materials.

1 Like

A “V” cut from the seam to the lock will quickly open one of these, after cutting the cable and taking it somewhere else to open it.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as an impenetrable safe or lock. Look at Mar-a-Largo.

4 Likes

The cable that came with my portable safe was pretty thin, so I measured the hole and bought a fatter cable for it. I cut off one loop end just past the crimp splice with a Dremel cut-off wheel to take up less room inside the safe. Works fine. My backup EDC is only in the car when I am out of the house and in the safe when I am going to be away from my always locked car for more than just a pop-in at a convenience store. Otherwise it is in a holster fixed under my seat between my legs and covered by a towel I sit on.

2 Likes

Plus i don’t advertise with stickers on my vehicles! I also removed all dealer stickers , no free advertising!!!

1 Like

Ideas

I noticed there are thicker cables that actually still fit the box’s “hole”; I imagine with a steel drill tip, one can make the hole larger.

Drill a second hole, add a second cable?

I wonder if bolting down the safe box could be safer as others suggest - though would be big project or expense for me.

Four lock box safes, keep em all locked, put inside “dry snacks, survival kits, and or big ole loaded rat/mouse trap” to make it feel real/decoy, to slow would-be crook down.

Velcro (heavy duty) down the box to the car, to slow crook down.

IDK.

Better then with sitting under your seat. Also a little camouflage and diversionary items helps also. I have mine in seat back pouch cabled to seat brackets pretty ell hidden with another drop over cover with large pouchs and I have some exspensive head phones in it. Hoping they will detour them from looking any further, but you cant stop all of them ! I have pictures and serial numbers recordered. Plus only time there in there and not on me is a federal building or unathorized places which should have surveliance on the property. Best I can do .

1 Like

someone once told me a thing… out of site out of mind…

3 Likes