If you have purchased a .22 rifle, why did you buy it?

Lots of fun. Cheap ammo. Good training rifle for kids. Win win win.

8 Likes

I’m pretty happy with my 10/22. I bought it mostly for target practice but there was a brief period of time where it also served as my only viable SD rifle. I wouldn’t want to go against someone with a 10/22 loaded with a 25 round mag full of CCI Velocitors.

They make a takedown version now that you could stick in a backpack if you wanted/needed to.

7 Likes

Forgot to add pics.

w/folding stock

7 Likes

Beautiful!
Looks better than the Ruger Charger.

https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html
Standard MSRP $379

2 Likes

Got 2, Marlin 60 in Stainless and a Savage MK2, bull barrel bolt action. Bought them both due to being a sucker for laminate stocks, spontaneous purchases and no regrets with either, au contraire, actually fantastic return on investment. I do “mad pews” with the Marlin, “tube dumps :rofl:” and also find it a hoot and capable of 200 and 300 yard shots on steel. The Savage is a tack driver at 50 yards, so I use that as my cheap date “focus and zen” gun. Light enough to shoot fairly well offhand as well as bench and prone.
Bought both used, great condition, the Savage had a scope, and for a couple hundred bucks +/-, they were a no brainer purchase.

4 Likes

I tried to love the Charger, but just didn’t. My brother had and sold one.

3 Likes

I bought a Ruger 10/22 in 2020. I bought it mostly for prepping, but I have found that it’s is a fun shooter, very reliable and accurate, and also a great rifle to teach new shooters. Although the main purpose of this gun would be small game hunting or target shooting, it could work in a defensive situation: I wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of one with a 25 round mag and hi velocity ammo. I strongly recommend having a .22 rifle and pistol as part of any gun collection.

6 Likes

Let’s try some combos:

Henry lever action + Ruger Single Six
10/22 + Mark IV
M&P 15-22 + SW22
GSG-16 + 1911-22

2 Likes

My combo is Ruger 10/22 and Taurus TX22. I also have a Ruger Wrangler, which is an economical and surprisingly accurate shooter.

3 Likes

For starters, I think precious few people live in an area where living off hunting in a end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it is viable, and I live in a highly populated area so that’s definitely not something on my radar.

But my first .22lr rifle was a 10/22 because it is reliable (use CCI mini mags, Velocitor, and SV for any .22lr from which you desire reliability IMO) and the aftermarket is tremendous.

I then added a 15-22 for the obvious training crossovers.

5 Likes

I live in a very tiny town surrounded by countless miles of Forest Service and BLM land. There are going to be a lot of very hungry avid outdoors people here after the month or maybe two it would take them to completely wipe out the elk and deer population in the area. The small mammal and bird populations wouldn’t last any longer as a viable source of calories given the very large number of people who falsely believe this forest can somehow support the thousands of people who live in or next to it. Not to mention the tens of thousands more people who will likely try fleeing here from nearby disintegrating urban areas.

6 Likes

Yup. Literally Louis and Clark ran out of game around/within walking to hunt distance of their winter camp

4 Likes

And the natives were so hungry they ate the guts of a bison raw after they realized the people in the expedition didn’t want them.

1 Like

There’s always Gunbroker.com.

3 Likes

M&P 15-22 and P322

Love them both.

Got them for 2 reasons. 1 - they’re fun to shoot and 2 - they’re cheap to shoot.

5 Likes

How does the M&P 15 compare with the 10/22?
Thinking of getting a rifle as cooler weather is coming soon where I can shoot outdoors again.

3 Likes

(161) Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 vs Ruger 10/22 - YouTube

4 Likes

@Larry130 gave a valuable link.

In the end, it’s personal preference.
One comment I like about the 10/22 was,
if you want a new rifle, it would cost you less than $200 to change the stock into any rifle clone you like.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link.
Great video. I like the idea of buying both but the wife would have a problem with that.
Both S&W and Ruger put out quality products so that is not a concern (have pistols from each).
Will be keeping my eyes open for deals on both.

2 Likes

Some of the other fine communities members have stepped up by I’m going to toss in me .22 cents. :slight_smile:

I don’t think I used a 10/22 before. I know my brother in law had a .22 rifle that my wife and I shot before I got my 15-22 but can’t remember the make/model. I do know it was tube fed and not mag fed.

As @BeanCounter said, in the end it’s a personal choice. I got the 15-22 because it’s pretty much a functional AR platform which controls match my wife’s Sport 2. So I figured any skills she acquired from one, could be transferred to the other. Or that’s my hope at least.

Trying to make life as easy for her as I can. :slight_smile:

3 Likes