I Get it but I still have mixed feelings

These are High School Students so they must be in the 16-18 year old range. They didn’t threaten anyone. They probably told a hand full of “friends” they had them and one got nervous and went and reported it. OK the law says they can’t have guns on school property so arrest them and take the firearms BUT when I got to

“As the investigation continued, the school was placed on “secure alert,” meaning all the doors leading outside were locked and students were not allowed to leave the building, but classes proceeded as normal.”

“Out of an abundance of caution, (Salt Lake school resource officers) and patrol officers searched the school and neighborhood,” police said."

I had to ask "Are they over reacting, searching the neighborhood? Ask your self this
A knock on the door, Officer says “We suspect some kids have guns in the high school over there, we need to search your house…”.

What would you do?

5 Likes

You do not have to let the police search your house because what happened at the school had nothing to do with you. But if you volunteer to let them it makes it a legal search and if they do find guns in your home they will probably confiscate them.

9 Likes

Ummm. No!!! I know who is in my house at all times and so does my dog. If you want to walk around my yard and check the bushes fine. :thinking:

9 Likes

I would say, “what has that got to do with me? Please, kindly, leave my property.”

9 Likes

Politely send them to Karen’s house!

10 Likes

Just say No. You could even be extra nice and say No Sir.

9 Likes

“No, I do not consent to nor give you permission to search my house; leave my property!” And then close the door without further comment.

7 Likes

“No, and you must not know how to read since you passed three signs to get to my front door that said “NO TRESPASSING”

7 Likes

Simply say “No, Thank You,” and then close the door. You and your house have NOTHING to do with the school. Be polite and most likely no problems.

5 Likes

Does searching the neighborhood mean searching each home? Wonder what that actually looked like. I doubt it was a full scale search of every property. I can’t imagine they searched every home. Maybe a drive through and look around or something.

I’m not home during the day so they would have to talk to me through my electronic doorbell. I would have been polite had I been home. What reason do you have to believe anyone is here? I’ve been here the entire time, officer, and I can assure you my family and I are the only ones here and we’ve done nothing wrong. I assume that would be enough.

4 Likes