How Would it Feel to Injure Someone

A little bitty knife in a hand that knows how to wield it is much more effective than a big flashy knife that has to be swung. Ive only been in two knife fights, I got cut/stabbed both times. Lets just say I walked away from both but I was shaken to my core each time, taking a life in a very up close and personal circumstance is hard. I’m talking bad breath distance. When it comes down to you and them…you survive or you die there is no other option.

To the OP “You either survive or die…the choice is yours.”

Cheers,

Craig6

9 Likes

That’s something alot of people do not realize about CQB, it’s intensely personal. When it’s do or do not with everything on the line, you see and smell everything.

7 Likes

CQB is very personal. It’s one thing to go into a kill house and shoot targets or even simunition warriors. Its an entirely different thing to breach a door and do a dynamic entry with real people. I got stuck in the paw and beat the living he!!! out of the guy on the other end of the rifle, I used every asset I had and beat him into submission I’m just glad the rifle failed to fire otherwise I would be missing most of my left hand as opposed to having an in and out knife wound.

Cheers,

Craig

6 Likes

I have thankfully never been there, but I have been tested on my willingness to defend myself and my presenting a determined defense was enough to make the perps change their minds. Knives typically seem to present a primal fear in people.

5 Likes

Do not get into knife fight… EVER!!!

There is only one result and it is that you and the other guy/girl will be cut or stabbed.

Just shoot the dumb ba$tard and be done with it.

That failing bum rush the assailant, knee him/her in the balls, pound your fist on any good bits available.

Break contact and run like he!!.

Cheers,

Craig6

9 Likes

I was abroad, so that was not an option. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time - late at night a few blocks from the resort/hotel. Apparently an older white guy appears to be an easy mark, until he isn’t. :rofl:

6 Likes

I get into the ring with big young trained pro fighters, But You Guys that actually do what you explained, kick in the door, guns and bullets, knives. You Guys Are THE True BAD ASS MoFo’s.

6 Likes

I’m probably out of place here as a woman…I read this thread and it hit home. I do carry concealed and I train but when push comes to shove and I am eye ball to eye ball with a threat, I sometimes wonder if I could pull the trigger. I know some here will say I should not carry because of that. I disagree. Carrying def makes me feel safer and I feel prepared to do what I might have to do and pray I never have to find out. If the circumstance involved my son being present or anyone else I love and care about, I think it would be an easier decision to protect and defend against a threat.

The truth is, until I am in that position (which most of you have been), I don’t know what I will do. Trying to balance survival mode with a moral compass is difficult and can only apply to each individual instance. Certainly not a simple answer. I also do not want to be (and don’t intend to be) a victim.

Martial arts…I should train for that as well. But the same question arises as well as the disadvantage of being a woman in a fight with one or more men. Nevertheless, some of it would be helpful. Thoughts??

Thanks @Mike164 for this discussion. It was helpful to me.

13 Likes

It’s called self-defense, The only difference was, in this case, you were in a position where you could have walked away. In most cases of self-defense you won’t be allowed to do that. Just remember you wound up where you are because the perpetrator put you there.

7 Likes

As a female, you may be justified using force , Lethal or not, in a situation where some men wouldn’t be able to simply because of the disparity in size And physical ability

11 Likes

I think this is the place to be. Especially for anyone who is at a potential physical disadvantage to an attacker.

I actually didn’t start my martial arts training until a year ago after my heart attack that had me in the hospital for 17 days. I had lost so much muscle I needed a walker to get to the bathroom. Had to learn to walk and balance all over again.

After I finished my cardio rehab I found a coach who did weight training and Krav Maga and that has been a life changer. Along with getting my strength and balance back I am so much more confident in being able to handle threatening situations both when I cannot have my firearm handy and when I do. I should have started training long ago.

There are a lot of moves that are very effective against bigger and stronger opponents. There are several small women at the gym I train at who more than hold their own against many of the trained men there. They would easily mop the floor with an untrained attacker.

9 Likes

Here’s the thing. In our gym, Institute of Mixed Martial Arts, we train “sport” fighters. Boxing, Kick Boxing, MMA competition fighters. When folks come in looking for self defense, that’s a different type of training. Me and a couple of others are the one that teach those classes. I call them “Hit and Git” classes. I’m a real advocate of the martial arts, hearing success stories like Shamrock is the reason we do it. Find a Self Defense Instructor, many fighting coached do it but some don’t. Krav Maga is probably the simplest most effect form.

10 Likes

Expanding on that thought by @Mike164

I am/was a 3rd dan Black belt in Taekwondo. It was all non contact Tournament style. I wouldn’t count on anything I know from Taekwondo in sport fighting or street fighting (unless my opponent was just that bad). Against a real MMA fighter or a Boxer, or a good street fighter. They would blow through my flashy moves anddefenses. So, maybe a couple of low kicks, but I would get hurt. I also have some skill in Judo and grappling, that I would use, maybe. Even though I have training, and some experience.

I know my limitations though.

IF, and I mean, IF you want to learn CQB street fighting. Get your endurance and breathing techniques as high as you can. You get gassed fast. Then focus on a minimal amount of techniques, strikes, joint locks, and escapes. Don’t practice til you are perfect. Practice them until you can’t get them wrong. There’s a difference, trust me.

Best advice. Spend all of that time on situational awareness, avoidance, and de-escalation. Failing those skills, there’s a reason that humans dominate our planet. We are tool users, use your tools and have redundancy. That is the best advice I can give you.

9 Likes

@Wanda3 No you are absolutely in the right place. Awareness is key. If your spidey senses start tingling there is probably a reason for it that you may not be able to observe or comprehend. TRUST THEM. Get the gun/SD tool/Weapon of opportunity in your hand and move to an exit. I have mixed feelings about civilian conflicts and my go to method is break contact and run, my military conflict resolution is to move to the fight, that doesn’t stand up well in our litigious society. One never knows how a conflict will play out. The best I have discovered is to run scenarios in your head for “How would I react?” Think it through from beginning to end. Try thinking about your local grocery store. You’re in the produce section and you hear a kerfuffle and a gun shot at the front of the store. Where do you go? What do you do? What do you know about building fire codes that gives you a back door exit? Are you crossing over between isles and have witnessed the whole incident? Is your son/loved one with you or are you alone?

Once you run through the scenarios in your head, even months or years before, your brain will snap back to them giving you a plan. That is why the military builds as close to real life “kill towns” which train operators in the exact environment that they will encounter. It allows them to visualize and plan a methodology in advance, once they are there they have already been there (Harry Potter reference).

Cheers,

Craig6

10 Likes

TRUTH!!!

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

Typically, the guy on the street can go 100% for 10-15 seconds, seems short but try it. We train fighters on 5 minute cycles hoping they are good for 1-2 minutes with fast recovery. All of that said, a little cardio is always good. Walk, Run, Bike, Fight, what ever you can do, Just Do It.

10 Likes

@Craig6 Good advice. I can improve my mental planning for sure in certain situations. My situational awareness is much better since I got into shooting and understanding the dynamics of self defense: avoid, escape. But, like all things, I can do better. Sometimes I slip back into ordinary life and have to remind myself to pay attention. I was out with my son once in a Panera sandwich shop. We were sitting in a booth and I was carrying. He asked me why I was looking at everyone and all around. Because! I need to pay attention to suspicious activities or people. and know where I am and how to get out. And I need to protect us if need be. I can’t be as trusting as I once was. The world has changed.
Honestly, I’m surprised there aren’t more incidences…most people are completely self-absorbed and oblivious to life around them. Heads in phones, in la-la land.

12 Likes

There are probably more than we realize because many aren’t reported

I’ve taken to carrying pepper spray as I am to the point in my life I am going to try to stay away from physical contact.

I have actually given some of these to my close female friends

It’s a nice piece of equipment to have handy if someone lays hands on you

11 Likes

I don’t know if people have noticed but sex trafficking has gone through the roof in this country

9 Likes

I carry 2 Damascus Steel Karambit’s EDC. But due to Alabama laws mine are dual edged.

8 Likes