How much equipment do you keep on hand?

@Dawn, my 20 year old twins don’t shoot, though one is getting interested, but I feel ya in the food and especially milk department. We buy them a gallon a day! Not quite as expensive as ammo, but it feels like it sometime. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My boys shoot, have cars and motorcycles that they work on, @Shepherd. They’re very occupied by all things mechanical and I’m great with that. Keeps them out of trouble - mostly. :wink:

4 Likes

Enough that I won’t say publicly.:grin:

I think as a general rule one is wise to keep at least a thousand rounds in storage for each caliber of defensive firearm they own.

I also think it is wise to have at leas 10 high capacity (where legal of course) magazines in addition to your regular carry and practice magazines for each of them.

4 Likes

My EDC is a G26 with 2 12 round mags with 147 gr. Federal Premium HST, a knife and a small Tac light . My Go bag has a KEL-TEC Sub 2000 chambered in 9mm for Glock magazines with a few magazines (1-32 round, 2-15 round, 4-17 round) loaded with the same Federal rounds. My range bag is in my trunk with a few hundred rounds of ball ammo and other necessities, including a couple empty magazines, an ammo can with another few hundred rounds, a couple spare 17 round magazines in the glove box with x-grip spacers to fit the G26. (not by coincidence, every magazine, with the exceptions of the 12 round mags, can be used in both the Glock and the Kel-Tec.

I just ordered a case of American Eagle 124 grain for the range which will take the place of my current spare box because the ammo can in the car is getting low.

3 Likes

I have assorted ammo, need to stock up some more on pistol ammo.

I have my AR in a locking hard case with cleaning kit and 10 pre-loaded 30rd mags with one in the Magwell but nothing chambered…

Got a sealed wooden crate of 880rds for the mosin.

About 1000rds of .223. An extra 13 or so new in packaging 30rd mags for my AR.

Few thousand .22lr
Few hundred .22wmr

2 Likes

I work 800 miles from home, so I have a get home plan that includes travel. Heres my truck loadout:

Yes. That’s a 100 gal gas tank in the back.

I have 2 bug out bags in the truck as well, if I had to get out and walk solo, I’d consolidate from the truck and the two bags to one, depending on conditions and time of year.

We keep a supply of food at home (not enough). We are set up for generator power, with fuel storage. We have 24/7 live spring right across the dirt road from us. We keep a supply of ammo in most of our calibers (not enough). We have draft horses and some horse drawn equipment (not enough), half a seasons firewood (and woods for more). Chickens, ducks, geese, goats, sheep, cows. Half a years hay (not enough). Milking and cheesemaking equipment, some butcher equipment. food preservation equipment, garden seeds, veterinary equipment, some medical supplies (not enough).

And before you ask, Yes. I do live in a bunker. :grin:

Ok, well it’s an in-ground house. But the guy who built it was really thinking "bunker " when he designed it.

5 Likes

Really? An underground house? That sounds interesting. Is like to see that.

1 Like

@JKetchem yep. it’s a concrete in-ground, with grass on the roof, built into a hillside. It will hold at least four 2000-pound draft horses on the roof, or 3 dozen large sheep. Goats, cats, chickens and guinea hens will walk off the grass onto the porch tin roof, and they can make quite the racket. It has no heating system built in, and no air conditioning. We put in a wood furnace last winter but don’t have it circulating to all parts of the house yet. If you get a crack in the concrete roof or walls, it will become a spring when the weather is wet.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my bunker. But there are things about in-ground that really only sound good in back-to-the-land magazines and aren’t quite that way in real life.

There are things about an in-ground house that everyone will tell you are AWESOME - it never gets below 50 degrees… or much above it. That’s true… but only if you don’t let air in or out. Basically it has enormous thermal mass. What people who write about in-ground houses but have never lived in one don’t tell you is that if you open the windows and let the 85 degree air in, or if you just come and go a lot through the doors, it will become an 85 degree thermal mass, not a 50 degree one. And it will take about 5 days to cool back down. :hot_face: Another thing they don’t tell you is that when the 85 degree 85% humidity air hits your 50 degree walls, condensation will immediately occur and your walls run water into the carpet, down the back of any paintings or photos on the walls, and Mold Will Happen. To combat that, we run dehumidifiers, which really help the indoor-rain and mold, but they add heat to the rooms… and there goes your 50 degrees. :roll_eyes:

They’ll also tell you it’s cheaper to heat in the winter and cool in the summer … I’m gonna say it could be, but its really about air management and if you planned well when you built it. The builder on this house was perhaps not as smart as I’d have liked him to be. :wink:

Plus it would have been good if he’d built a back exit option - ours is accessible only from the front. One Molotov Cocktail and we’re inside for the duration.:no_good_woman:

Also, it might have been wise to actually check out where the water table is in a wet year. :thinking:

As bunkers go, I give it a “B”. :slightly_smiling_face: As houses go, maybe a “C”. :neutral_face: For location, it gets an “A+” … on 80 acres at the end of a dirt road in the Missouri Ozarks. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Overall, I’m happy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh, and did I mention it comes with buried treasure? :star_struck:
Why Yes. Yes it does.

The original builder didn’t believe in banks and saved his money in caches around the property. The previous owner found 3, averaging about $18,000 each. The rumor is there are at least 3 more.

3 Likes

That is absolutely amazing! You’ve sparked my inner geek.

1 Like

Lots of those in MO, they are virtually tornado proof and of course the bunker buddies love them.

2 Likes

Theres a church about 20 miles north of us where the whole exposed part of the walls under the roof is about 2’. Roof and all, the above ground part of the building is about 4’ :laughing:
When I first moved out here I thought it was kinda weird, but after volunteering on cleanup crews for the devastation after the Joplin tornado, I totally get it.

2 Likes

My EDC is a Glock 48 in an Alien Gear shoulder holster with 2 mags & trauma kit in the trunk of my car.
Sometimes I am approached by a Wal-martian in the parking lot.

I hate conversation starting strangers approaching me in parking lots. Sometimes I get triggered and ward them off.

A Stihl 250MS and a gallon jug of bar oil comes to mind.

1 Like

Just carry a gun and a knife and hope I don’t need them. Let’s not get carried away. Weird flex. In most case common sense, situation awareness, the art of the Irish exit and a gun/knife will get the job done. Anything more than this is feeding into paranoia. I’m not paranoid or scared. lol

On a lighter note, did ya see that house explosion?
A flare gun?

Wow!

2 Likes

Try this site.

I have used it a lot with excellent results. It will show you the cheaper than dirt prices as well compared to others. Personally, I wont buy from CTD or Sportsmans guide. Back when ammo was very scarce they raised their prices to insane levels. They were gouging everyone and anyone they could. Lost my respect.

I keep a tourniquet on hand, as well as blood clots patches, fixed esse knife :hocho:, Kore essentials belt, chest seals probably too much of an overkill

I’ll take a que from Skeeter Skelton—a fully loaded handgun plus three magazines/speed loaders.
If I have to go light, only one reload.

I’m not sure what the OP means by “placement.”

2 Likes

When the ideas of equipment on hand come up. Along with the firearm of choice, I include my get home bag that is set up for the time of year. :us: There were some videos from Survival Summit awhile back that I found interesting: us

Have a great day
                                                                                 A
1 Like

This what I believe he meant. :thinking:

Staging loaded magazines - Self-Defense / Gun Safety & Storage - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

CCMW question: “bedside” gun (and staging method) - Guns & Gear - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

Staging home defense weapon/ammo? - Firearm Training - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)